New toy

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Decided I had to have an electric die grinder, mainly for power carving, did some research and went with this Bosch. Main reason I chose it is because it has variable speed cause I plan on using sanding drums with it too, and they burn the wood if the speed is too high, these things are not cheap though :( Im itching to try it out but have company today, so it will have to wait till tomorrow. I will post a review of the tool after I have used it some...
20190309_132056.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have found that just about any Bosch tool is good quality. Anxious to hear your opinions on it.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I have found that just about any Bosch tool is good quality. Anxious to hear your opinions on it.
I agree Greg, I think the thing I want to find out from using it is, will it be as usefull as I hope. I have an air die grinder that I have used some, but they are real air hogs, makes my compressor cycle almost constantly...

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Made me remember that I have an electric somewhere, came in a box of stuff I bought at an auction. It's pretty beat up and well used, and I have no idea of what brand it is, but you made me think I should take a closer look at it. Might be useful in the shop.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Is that the DG355LCE? I have that one in my Amazon cart. but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I am hoping the wife would get it for fathers day....

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Is that the DG355LCE? I have that one in my Amazon cart. but I haven't pulled the trigger on it yet. I am hoping the wife would get it for fathers day....
Yes it is Marc! I've used it a couple of hours this morning and I'm super happy with it so far...

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Looks cool Barry. I've never used one of these. Are they basically a beefed up, heavy duty version of a Dremel Tool ?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Looks cool Barry. I've never used one of these. Are they basically a beefed up, heavy duty version of a Dremel Tool ?
Yea, that's a good description. Die grinders air mainly for metal work, but these electric ones make great power carving tools, much more power and torque to spin bigger burrs,the long neck is great, you can use one hand to grip it at the neck for great control. there are tons of burrs, stones, and wheels you can use with it, any thing with a 1/4" shaft

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
Barry, wonder how would it compare to a Foredom? I'm wondering about power, accessories and ease of use. Maybe you've never used one to be able to compare but anyone?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Barry, wonder how would it compare to a Foredom? I'm wondering about power, accessories and ease of use. Maybe you've never used one to be able to compare but anyone?
I have a Chinese knock-off Foredam, this is in a whole different league in terms if power, it will spin much bigger tools, as far as accessories there is a galaxy of them, it has a 1/4 collet which is pretty much the standard for most, burrs, bits, wheels, etc... No flex shaft of course, but it will be used for bigger projects, doubt if I would use on on it, even if I could.....
will be getting some of these shortly for it;

https://www.woodcarverssupply.com/Saburr-Tooth-Carbide-Burrs-1_4/products/109/1/0

I have a few of these already which are for metal, but work great, less aggressive, but leave a very smooth surface;
45000.gif

Mlyle

Amateur Woodturner
Reaction score
First name
Michael
nice tool ...cool tool....

so sre you going to use it with gouges ?

i have seen some really nice texturing with power gouges.

good luck

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
nice tool ...cool tool....

so sre you going to use it with gouges ?

i have seen some really nice texturing with power gouges.

good luck
Thanks, this tool spins, and a power carver reciprocated, so no I won't be using gouges with it. I might get a power carver someday though....

Mlyle

Amateur Woodturner
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Oh. dang......i was wondering how that worked......thanks...

bosch are good tools . I have a bosch table saw (contractors)
and a bosch jig saw couple bosch drills....

anyway good luck with yer new tool