New woodshop teacher

RedwoodWorkshop

Reaction score
First name
morgan
Hello everybody.

I havent been on here in probably 5 years. Please let me know if a different thread is better.

I am hoping to increase my wood turning in woodshop drastically and even apply for a grant to buy a lot of new equipment. I have heard from the approving body, "apply and it will be approved".

I'm considering getting 5-15 jet 1221vs. Lathes
Also a fleet of supernova 2s and a bowl gouge and skew from Thompson lathe tools to match each lathe totaling 10-20 complete sets.

We already have 4 variable speed midi lathes. And 2 large powermatic lathes. The old school reeves drive. (I think, havent gotten a chance to check yet). I have always used supernova 2. It's the only chuck I have ever owned and I loved it although i have heard varying opinions. I would like to stick with what I know u less yall completely disagree.

Any advice would be great!

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Welcome back! You could probably teach most of us a thing or two! Agree that when it comes to grants that the most important ingredient is a strong application package. Keep us posted. Chuck

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Can't go wrong with Supernova chucks, maybe some different sets of jaws depending on potential projects.

Sharpening stations with CBN wheels- don't know what you have, but some additional grinders/CBN wheels and wolverine systems may be needed if you are increasing the number of turners active at the same time.

Thompson tools- can't go wrong with TT. Skew vs spindle gouge, all depends on how/what you plan to teach. I use a skew all the time, but cant do everything with one, and depend on a spindle gouge for a lot. Maybe you already have a bunch of spindle gouges? Either way, kudos to you for getting and teaching use of the skew, powerful tool that many under utilize.

Bowl gouge from TT. I've got a couple and love them. However, depends on what type of grind you plan on using/teaching. For some grinds a parabolic flute is better than a "V".

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Another thought came to mind. Would you like to have any specialty embellishment tools for an advanced class. Things like bead cutters and a teardrop tool from D-Way, Sorby texturing tool, chatter tools, wire burners, etc. Might just need one of each type of specialty tool for an embellishment "kit".

These kind of things aren't necessary by any means, but it's always easier to get even small things now with your big order rather than trying to get approval later on.

Other things to think about, spur drives, faceplates, live center "systems", pen (and other type) mandrels. All depends on type of projects you forsee teaching.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I'm not a turner so won't try to add any advice in that regard. However, my Dad taught high school woodshop. You didn't say what level classes you're going to teach but if it's high school, strong consideration should be given to durability. High school kids are hard on equipment. Machines that can easily get out of adjustment or that are expensive to repair might not be a good choice. He swore by old Southbend lathes because they were essentially armor plated.