Next Turning Challenge

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Due to certain voting irregularities, allegations of ballot tampering, bribery, undue influence of those in authority, ballot harvesting, the fact that the voting resulted in a tie, the fact I've already chosen one of the challenges, but most of all, the fact I'm coming up empty on good ideas for the next challenge, I'm opening it up to suggestions for the next one.

I know there are lots of ideas out there, so let's have them. I'll leave the suggestion box open until Sunday, but not guaranteeing I won't close it early if someone comes up with an idea I really like. As always, coming up with the idea that is chosen gets you zilch other than everyone's undying gratitude for a challenge that's really fun.

Bean_counter

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Live edge bowls or somethings
Kitchen utensil
Spoon/spatula
Small lidded box
Ornament
Yarn bowl
Pecker mill I mean pepper mill

BangleGuy

Reaction score
First name
Eric
How about opening it up beyond turning? Let the object be able to be made out of wood, and suitable for makers to use whatever methods they so desire... then I might try to use my Lathe, CNC or heck, maybe whittling knives .

kitchen utensil sounds interesting. Would a wooden waffle maker count! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Last edited:

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Pecker mill I mean pepper mill

How about opening it up beyond turning? Let the object be able to be made out of wood, and suitable for makers to use whatever methods they so desire... then I might try to use my Lathe, CNC or heck, maybe whittling knives .

kitchen utensil sounds interesting. Would a wooden waffle maker count! :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:
Pepper Mills!!

BG now you're trying to show off.. Don't get me wrong I love it when you do that

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I'd be up for live edge, lidded box, yarn bowl, or pepper mill; three of which I've never done and that's ultimately the point of it all. Another idea and a first, for me anyway, would be a turning project requiring a glue up.

But the whole point of winning the contest is that you get to throw the curveball to the rest of us; fire away Tim @trc65 !

@BangleGuy Eric - Interesting suggestion, but this was started specifically in the turning forum to challenge the turners, share ideas and concepts, and learn from one another about turning. I think your idea is a great one, but maybe if there was enough interest (I'm sure there would be) you could start another "challenge" series under general woodworking? That way everyone would have the opportunity to participate in one or both as their interests allow. I know there are many other things I'm really interested in learning, and I would certainly participate in another general challenge series (or even another specific one) depending upon the equipment needed.

Ed D.

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Go for one of my favorites:
- turned box used for storing another turning
- turned lazy susan for display of other turnings
- one piece (no glue) yo-yo
- finger top made from at least 4 different pieces of wood, composite and/or plastic
- hollow throw-top

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
The Yo-yos and tops from one of our newer members peaked my interest, so throwing that into the mix of suggestions.

And Ed posted as I was typing. :good2:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
And when or if we ever do one of those two, Ed has to promise to tie one hand behind his back while he turns. :sarcastic:

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Maybe...
-A turned wall hanging
-incorporate something found in a turned item (found on a walk or in an antique store etc)
-Turn something that reflects your interest in a sport or hobby ( fishing lure, baseball etc)

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
How about a cup with a handle? Bunch of different designs out there... I will track some pics down when I get back to my big rig......

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Well, after looking around, looks like there is usually a lot of carving involved in cups, maybe not great for a turning challenge...

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you everyone! Great ideas, probably enough different ones for a year or two of challenges. The next challenge will be up just as soon as I get it typed.