Next turning challenge

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Alright everyone the next challenge is upon us. Below are the details:

Project:

• Segmented lamp shade – I’ve been intrigued ever since @larry C has posted his. I figure a challenge would give us all an excuse to make one.
Wood:

• Any material you can muster up will work for this challenge
  • A minimum of one piece of koa has to be incorporated
Requirements:
  • Must be minimum of 3,000 pieces and use some sort of colored glue.
  • No size requirements on either the size of pieces, the open spaces or the size of the shade
  • A lathe must be used
  • Finish – no requirement.
Deadline:

• Pictures of your lamp shade may be submitted anytime, but in honor of tax day, must be in by Sunday 4/18/21 at 9pm PST
  • Voting (and some color commentary I'm sure) will take place for the next 7 days and conclude at 9pm PST on Sunday 4/25/21
  • Winner gets to choose the next challenge, outline their requirements, and decide on the next deadline.

I hope we get just as many participants as the last challenge. Please comment that you are in!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I‘m not set up for segmented work, but I’m curious why colored glue?

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Dang! That's a BIG challenge and not much time to do it. Get to work people!!!!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Those lamp shades he does are extraordinary but I'll have to pass on this one. I have no way of cutting the pieces I'll need. I'm looking forward to seeing what everyone else does though. :)

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Alright everyone the next challenge is upon us. Below are the details:

Project:

• Segmented lamp shade – I’ve been intrigued ever since @larry C has posted his. I figure a challenge would give us all an excuse to make one.
Wood:

• Any material you can muster up will work for this challenge
  • A minimum of one piece of koa has to be incorporated
Requirements:
  • Must be minimum of 3,000 pieces and use some sort of colored glue.
  • No size requirements on either the size of pieces, the open spaces or the size of the shade
  • A lathe must be used
Deadline:

• Pictures of your lamp shade may be submitted anytime, but in honor of tax day, must be in by Sunday 4/18/21 at 9pm PST
  • Voting (and some color commentary I'm sure) will take place for the next 7 days and conclude at 9pm PST on Sunday 4/25/21
  • Winner gets to choose the next challenge, outline their requirements, and decide on the next deadline.

I hope we get just as many participants as the last challenge. Please comment that you are in!
:shok: where's the WTF emoji:wonky:

either mike intends to win or total screw with anyone who wants to compete

and..... oh i'm out

Last edited:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I'm definitely in and am starting on it right now! This is exciting, but I will need to find a piece of koa. Anyone got a small block I can buy??

Great challenge Mike!!!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
This has to be April fools........................
:ohno::lol2: You're probably right. I didn't even think about that. Lol And if you're not right, it's still funny. :)

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK – I’ve been outted! What is today – April 1st so April Fool! Heck, even though I do want to make something segmented - eventually, I am not set up for it either. Tried to leave a few clues as this being a joke such as the short time frame and the need for colored glue.

This is the REAL new challenge.

Project:
  • Something you can hang on a wall – Iff’n you want to hang a segmented lampshade on a wall, you can submit one of those. Get those creative juices flowing and step outta the box! Paddles will not be disqualified! Neither will Texas shaped cutting boards.
Wood:
  • Any material you can muster up will work for this challenge, but must contain some wood.
  • LATE EDIT - if aspen burl is used - at least one aspen burl will be required to be sent to Little Mikey.
Requirements:
  • Has to be made for this challenge – although parts made prior can be utilized.
  • All wood and other materials used must fit in a MFRB (11 ¼” x 8 ¾” x 6”). Final project can be larger.
  • Found objects are encouraged (such as wood found on the side of the street, etc..)
  • A lathe must be used for something.
  • Glue - no requirement.
Deadline:
  • As this being a very busy time for me – I’ll need some extra time – so 8 weeks for producing your trophy! Pictures of your wall hanger may be submitted anytime, but must be in by Sunday 5/30/21 at 5 pm HST (Now you Texans in CST – that means 5 is your thumb and moving towards your pinky - your pointer finger is 6, your middle finger is 7 pm PST, your ring finger is 8 MST, and Texans your finger is the pinky and is 9 pm CST – Now you EST people you are on your own – the Texans have run out of fingers, but I’ll give you a hint – it’s 10 pm EST!)
  • Voting and some snappy, snarky commentary will take place for the next 7 days and conclude at 5 pm HST on Sunday 6/6/21 (hint – use the same fingers for the time)

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Ok, I’m in for this one! Good joke btw. I got duped but that’s not hard to do. Lol

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Oh darn, I already dug my plastic protractor out of my old box of crayons! Was having a hard time though figuring out how to count over 20 pieces, don't have enough friends to help me count!

Was also ready to claim I was dyslexic and thought you meant one piece of oak, not koa. (No offense intended to anyone who suffers from dyslexia).

Even had the colored glue figured out! Was going to mix some mica powder with some Elmer's!

Having said all that, great challenge Mike, and I'm definitely in for the wall hanging.

Last edited:

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Well Mikey, I guess I am the dufus that was supposed to be the straight mine. I was talking to myself; my fingers just happed to peck the keys while my lips moved.......