Nice side-of-the-road find

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
The only kind of logging I do is scrounging, but I got a worthy find today. Have noticed a pile of weathered old tree parts that were pushed out to the edge of a gravel road, evidently from a nearby property. decided to stop today and look it over as I was looking for something to turn, and I spied this slab, weathered gray, but once I tried to lift it, I knew it was Desert Ironwood, so it came home with me. I skinned off the outside with a power hand planer, looks pretty good inside, and pretty check free considering.... it is 5 feet long, 10-14" wide and 4.5 thick, I'm thinking it was milled for a fireplace mantle. Not sure what I will do with it, but it is a nice piece to have in the hoard...
20191105_162210.jpg 20191105_162115.jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
You keep finding stuff like that, and you can cancel your gym membership... I’d guess that weighs 125-150 lbs!

sweet find!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Dang, Barry, between your wood dump and road kill it’s enough to make someone want to move to Phoenix.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You keep finding stuff like that, and you can cancel your gym membership... I’d guess that weighs 125-150 lbs!

sweet find!
Yea, it was about all I could do to get it in the truck:sarcastic:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
That is an incredible find, good for you man! Tony

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Congrats! With your extraordinary talents, we are expecting great things out of this marvelous piece of wood! Chuck

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
If you’re wood pile is full I have a wood pile that had to be downsized. Plenty of space. Damn movers wouldn’t take everything! Lol

Patrude

Reaction score
First name
Rich
Yup, you just never know what treasure is waiting for you by the side of the road. This is sweet