Noise reduction for CNC router

JLH1979

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Hello CNCers, Has anyone on here found a good method to reduce the noise for a CNC router? I was thinking of clear vinyl strips...

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
What? Can't hear you. Sorry, I got nothing. My guitar coach used a big CNC in a cabinet shop and whenever anyone was running it, you just didn't try to talk to anyone else.

JLH1979

Reaction score
First name
Josh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@JonathanH Openbuilds sells enclosure kits so I have to think it is possible to use vinyl stips. I went to home depot last night and they did not have any strips so I may need to do some pricing online. If it isn't cost prohibitive I think I may give it a go.

SENC

Reaction score
First name
Henry
I use Axil earbuds for shooting, and recently started using them in my shop (my lathe is right next to my dust collector, which is rather loud). They reduce the sound to a very tolerable level, yet with sound enhancement on I can hear everything else going on... like turning tool on wood or someone sticking their head in to say something.

I have some sound deadening panels I planned to install on the walls behind the DC to reduce reflected sound and to experiment with making a removable curtain between it and me, but the earbuds are working so well I may not make the effort.

JLH1979

Reaction score
First name
Josh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I use earbuds as well. I am mainly trying to be a good neighbor and husband. LOL.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
I use earbuds as well. I am mainly trying to be a good neighbor and husband. LOL.
7 years ago I tore out all of the sheetrock in the garage (shop), installed wiring in the walls for an attic antenna, Cat 6 cable, speaker wires to all corners for a Base sound system, and mineral wool sound deadening insulation before putting 5/8 fire rock back in place. It really mutes the sound transmission unless the garage door is open.

That may be extreme, but I live in a townhome community. You can hear the compressor running thru the wall but it is a quiet hum.

I have great neighbors on either side, being respectful helps keep them that way.

Bonus is that the temperature never gets to either extreme now so is comfortable to work in year round if the garage door is not open.

chatometry

Reaction score
First name
Paolo
I built an enclosure with an outer mdf shell, a pyramid soundproofing panels layer and an inner mdf shell. When it is closed it is by far the quietest of my tools.