None of the above

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
Wasn't sure where to put this but seems to belong here. Came up with some pretty nice looking crotch ash knife scales. The piece of wood beind them is from the same crotch. While toasting some white oak for aging spirits, I made the accidental discovery that after baking in my oven for about 6 hrs, the oak was the same color all the way through.

Decided to try it out on a light wood chunk to see if it would do the same. The ash I chose was already bone dry and has some checks. Anyway, figured I should share my findings with the community, should anyone want to try it out. It is a bit lighter in weight and should probably be stabilized prior to using.

Going to be experimenting with going darker, perhaps even to black. Also want to try some burl to see how it holds up. Anyway, here's my first try. Second picture is with alcohol wiped on. Third is with alcohol on original wood. 20200204_081020.jpg 20200204_081053.jpg 20200204_081139.jpg

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Interesting. Always fun to have serendipitous results when working with wood.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Wow! Wonder how it affects working with the wood afterwards? More brittle? Chuck

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Wow! Wonder how it affects working with the wood afterwards? More brittle? Chuck
That's my concern as well. Not sure I'd want to use it for anything but flat work until stabilized. My bandsaw had no problems though. No chipping at all.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
I feel smarter just reading the article. Never had heard of the name and certainly not the process. Thanks for sharing.