Not all pieces are a success (blown-up hollow form

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
It’s easy to look at all the finished work out there and forget that not all pieces make it. Here’s my latest “failure,” it was a 10” wide by 6.5” tall hollow form until a nasty catch saw to the end of that. I only had a little over an inch to hollow, and had the walls down to about 1/8”. I had a lot of hours into the piece, but hat’s just how it goes sometimes!

ETA: note, the second photo is after I trimmed up the edge after the catch. The original opening was about 3/4” diameter, so when the tool caught it blew out the top.

DBD69D31-47D6-4171-B147-05D3605AA2B6.jpeg

6D77F3D1-67FF-4D30-8C02-038772A98216.jpeg

440B4495-95B0-4C49-BC22-969833C6B4F9.jpeg

Last edited:

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
It’s not on the same level,but ya I know I’ve blown up plenty of pens.

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It’s not on the same level,but ya I know I’ve blown up plenty of pens.
The thing I try to remember is that without pushing my boundaries it’s not possible to make progress...silver linings and all that.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Easier to gauge the thickness of the remaining sides. It will probably turn out crazy cool anyway! Chuck

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
Hope you have another cool piece of wood like this. If I don’t push it I’m disappointed and sometimes if I push it I’m disappointed but sometimes not.

Bob Ireland

Reaction score
First name
Bob
All I can say is you must have nerves of steel. Too bad it didn't turn out as you originally hoped but I agree with you about needing to push the limits sometimes.

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
All I can say is you must have nerves of steel. Too bad it didn't turn out as you originally hoped but I agree with you about needing to push the limits sometimes.
Haha, maybe, or maybe I’m just dumb enough to attempt these things. But in all seriousness, I do think it’s important to push those limits

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
Hope you have another cool piece of wood like this. If I don’t push it I’m disappointed and sometimes if I push it I’m disappointed but sometimes not.
Yeah, it’s a fine line. I knew I wanted the walls to be a consistent 1/8” or so, and it wasn’t even that I went through the wall, it was that I dug the tool in on the side wall just below the finished area, causing the shaft to jerk up violently. Thankfully I don’t destroy too many pieces, but this one bummed me out because the piece of wood was so nice and I had quite a bit of time into it at that point.

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
sometimes ya just gotta accept a mid game design change....
Yeah, I just wish it wasn’t so dramatic. It’s really not worth finishing as it is. The wood is pretty spalted, so the interior is pretty rough. That wouldn’t matter in a hollow form, but as a “bowl” it doesn’t work and the walls are already too thin to do much about it. It’s ok, it’s all part of creating work of this type.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Been there, done that, and probably gonna do it again! Would’ve been a pretty form...

In years past, I would’ve spent time trying to salvage something like this, but these days, I’m more likely to watch it burn...

SeanPEvans

Reaction score
First name
Sean
Been there, done that, and probably gonna do it again! Would’ve been a pretty form...

In years past, I would’ve spent time trying to salvage something like this, but these days, I’m more likely to watch it burn...
I’m of the same mind, it’s not worth the effort to do anything with it.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
As a newbie to turning, I appreciate the reminder that not everything turns out as we intend it to be. It helps me keep things in perspective and look for ways to salvage the mistake....set it aside for another day....or simply toss it in the trash and move on.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
As a newbie to turning, I appreciate the reminder that not everything turns out as we intend it to be. It helps me keep things in perspective and look for ways to salvage the mistake....set it aside for another day....or simply toss it in the trash and move on.
One very important thing I learned here,I’m new also,stand a little off to the side if possible. This missed me the other day.

3DEDFF01-3A6E-4733-989C-18D33480FB27.jpeg

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks Troy, great advice. I definitely want to stay out of the line of fire.

Glad that missed you and you are OK>

Last edited: