Oak Burl

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Last Saturday I did a demo at the local Tucson Woodcraft. No pictures were taken there, but I did make a video of turning this piece of Oak Burl yesterday. All that is left is to remove the tenon. I'm undecided whether to make a rim foot, or make three short legs for the foot. Below are pictures taken well before finish, which I might get to today. It was a challenge for sure.I have an awful lot of hand sanding to clean up the ribs I made because of the intermittent cuts. I think my highest speed when doing this was right at 1000 RPM, where most of my stuff is done at 3000 RPM.
The wood has beautiful color. I'm pretty sure the wood is over 50 years dead, laying on a hard packed area in the total sun it's entire dead life. Anyway, it's old.
The white you can see on the wood is from over spray I didn't clean off yet............

20200227_082908.jpg

20200227_082920.jpg

20200227_082930.jpg This piece above I think needs the sides sanded and blended from the turned area to the top areas of the wings as I turned all I could without causing it to become drastically unstable. My thoughts were to sand the outrigger thingies and blend them near the top. I wanted opinions, but was so elated I was able to get the pic on my new computer., I forgot to ask.

20200227_082942.jpg

20200227_082957.jpg

20200227_083013.jpg

I'll post more pictures when it's done. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I was going to vote for a rim foot, but that piece is so out of this world, that three legs might look really good. Either way, nifty bit of turning.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What an amazing piece of wood!
To me the foot shouldn't make a whole lot of difference- don’t think many will be picking it up to look.
I've pretty much decided on 3 legs/feet. Will try to get it done for the second weekend of the month for show and tell at my club meeting, Several members saw it as a lump of wood when I set up and started the tenon. They are curious to see what I did to the innards......... Jerry (in Tucson)