Of all the rotten luck in Tennessee.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Had some old maple logs that started to show some rot on the outside so my wife almost threw them in the burn pile that she started up. Glad I talked her into letting me cut those logs open. This is what happens to Sugar Maple when it's left on the ground for too long in Tennessee.

First batch:
IMG_0291.JPG

Two closeups: IMG_0293.jpg

IMG_0294.jpg

Before anyone ask, I first need to see what a good turning buddy wants before posting any of this for sale/trade. I still have a bit more to process when time allows though.

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
Reccon some people’s luck is just that way. You should have spalted her about even thinking about burning it!

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Karl, that is great stuff. Like you, I lucked into a batch of spalted maple when I had an undetected roof leak in a storage building. The 5/4 sugar maple boards were soaked for a long time under that leak. Amazing what nature does as the wood decays.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Very nice! Is it solid enough to turn?

Some is hard enough for turning with sharp tools, but I suspect many of the lighter pieces will need some stabilizing to avoid tear out. I wonder if soaking in sanding sealer would work for those without a pressure pot or vacuum stabilizing setup. Your thought?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Some is hard enough for turning with sharp tools, but I suspect many of the lighter pieces will need some stabilizing to avoid tear out. I wonder if soaking in sanding sealer would work for those without a pressure pot or vacuum stabilizing setup. Your thought?
I have had good luck on punky wood by turning to the rough shape, then soaking with poly, or lacquer or whatever, and after curing a couple of days I carefully finish turn it.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Oh, man, that's the good stuff! Getting my hands on some of that would probably make me blow the dust off the stabilizing chamber!

Nice get!

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Get it Matt! Whatever it takes to get you back to stabilizing.

Right now I am not buying anything. I have too much wood on hand and need to use a bunch of it up to open up space. I have also spent quite a bit thus far on getting the shop set up - and there's probably still some more that I'll need to spend in that area. Plus I'm saving up to buy a small utility trailer and a firearm. So, yeah, no buying wood right now. Or for a while.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Right now I am not buying anything. I have too much wood on hand and need to use a bunch of it up to open up space. I have also spent quite a bit thus far on getting the shop set up - and there's probably still some more that I'll need to spend in that area. Plus I'm saving up to buy a small utility trailer and a firearm. So, yeah, no buying wood right now. Or for a while.

I'm open for a trade, or getting some stabilized blocks back in return. Let me know if you are interested. :taunt:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Danged Karl! Great stuff. I guess you have better luck in the Western Grand Division. Here for me in the Middle Grand Division - it only rots and gets soft - so far! In the immortal word of Dory (well --- close) Just keep trying --- just keep trying!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I have had good luck on punky wood by turning to the rough shape, then soaking with poly, or lacquer or whatever, and after curing a couple of days I carefully finish turn it.

What do you mean by soaking? Dunking it for a period of time, or brushing it on the surface?

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Danged Karl! Great stuff. I guess you have better luck in the Western Grand Division. Here for me in the Middle Grand Division - it only rots and gets soft - so far! In the immortal word of Dory (well --- close) Just keep trying --- just keep trying!

Don't know what woods you have tried, but I seem to have the best luck with maple (especially sugar maple) for black line spalt. I simply leave logs piled up on the ground in a slightly shaded area when I run out of time to process them. Then come back in 6 to 12 months to find this stuff.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
What do you mean by soaking? Dunking it for a period of time, or brushing it on the surface?
Dunking it for a while would be ideal, but you would need a large container of finish and a small piece of wood. I just brush it on till it stops soaking it up (it soaks it up like a sponge) it might take a couple of applications. then of course you will want to finish it with whatever you soaked it in to harden it...

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I'm open for a trade, or getting some stabilized blocks back in return. Let me know if you are interested. :taunt:

Normally I'd be game for that, but I have no stabilizing resin on hand either.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Karl, that's some good looking wood. If you have or know anyone with a 2-3 gallon pressure paint tank, you could do this. You would be limited to about 8 3/4" pieces.
I once had a couple gallons of lacquer and sanding sealer I didn't like for cabinet finish, so I put it in my pressure pot. removed the pick up tube, and loaded the pot with wood to be turned. I pressureized the pot to max pressure, and let it set for a couple days. When the pressure was released, ans I opened the tank, the lacquer looked like it was boiling with the compressed air escaping the wood. It did stabilized the wood pretty good. You have to let the wood dry for about a month though. I could still smell the lacquer when turning my stuff........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Karl, that's some good looking wood. If you have or know anyone with a 2-3 gallon pressure paint tank, you could do this. You would be limited to about 8 3/4" pieces.
I once had a couple gallons of lacquer and sanding sealer I didn't like for cabinet finish, so I put it in my pressure pot. removed the pick up tube, and loaded the pot with wood to be turned. I pressureized the pot to max pressure, and let it set for a couple days. When the pressure was released, ans I opened the tank, the lacquer looked like it was boiling with the compressed air escaping the wood. It did stabilized the wood pretty good. You have to let the wood dry for about a month though. I could still smell the lacquer when turning my stuff........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Out of ignorance, would a vacuum work better for doing this? Also, what about using thinned shellac? I'd much rather deal with the smell of shellac/alcohol over lacquer.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Out of ignorance, would a vacuum work better for doing this? Also, what about using thinned shellac? I'd much rather deal with the smell of shellac/alcohol over lacquer.
Karl, a vacuum would need to run the whole time you are stabilizing. If you shut it off without releasing the vacuum, within 30 minutes you might lose all the vacuum you were trying to achieve. Also, I don't think you will never achieve 29hg.

With a pressure pot, you only need to fill the tank to what ever pressure your tank is capable of handling. It take my tanks about 15-30 seconds to fill. You then shut off the air supply, provided you have a shut off valve, sit and wait until you are ready to remove the pieces from the tank. My tanks have held whatever pressure I set for over 6 months. That was just plain lacquer. I don't do a lot of spraying as I'm too old to be getting involved in doing cabinets and furniture for a living anymore. When I'm done spraying lacquer, I shut the valve off, and unplug the air supply. Don't know when I'll spray again, but when I do, I have to release the pressure, and mix up what might be needed. The tanks hold pressure real well.
C'mon man, lacquer's good for ya........:wonky:........... Jerry (in Tucson)