Ok. Done. Salad bowl set

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
I believe that I am finished (after the big bowl dries tomorrow, I will turn off the bottom and finish it). As I said before, I used General Finishes salad bowl finish on the big bowl and it is obviously more glossy than the blo beeswax. That being said, I tried to knock down that salad bowl finish a little bit but I suck at finishing so I just used another coat and left it glossy. If they don't like it I'll bring it back and sand it all the way down and just do a wax finish.

Thanks
Robert

20170529_190112.jpg

20170529_190038.jpg

20170529_190024.jpg

20170529_185829.jpg

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nice work! I hope your clients are pleased.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Rub it down with some oooo steel wool, it will cut the shine and make it a satin finish.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Great looking set of bowls, I'm sure you'll have a pleased client! Tony

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Looks great, but I think it would be even better if the salad bowl wasn't so glossy compared to the individual bowls.

Do you have a buffing wheel set up? Hit it with tripoli compound, then white diamond, then carnauba wax (the "Beall Buffing Method") -- it leaves a beautiful smooth satin finish.

btw -- "Salad Bowl Finish" is just another name for "Danish Oil". All these finishes are food safe "when cured" -- which isn't the same as "when dry" ... it can take several weeks to fully cure (depends on temperature, humidity, etc.)

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Nice!!!! Real good job on them....

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do not have a buffing wheel setup...yet.
When using the 4/0 steel wool (dry I presume?) is it just light circular motion until the desired result is achieved?

Thanks
Robert

Mike Mills

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I agree with Greg on the 0000. Since you still have the tenon I would remount. Dampening (not dripping) the 0000 with water for lubricant and apply light pressure with your finger tips...it doesn't take much. Then wipe off the water and residue. If it is still too shiny repeat with just a little more pressure.
Greg may have more/better ideas.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I usually just rub it dry so I can monitor the progress. I also like Liberon brand steel wool, it just seems to be finer and more consistent in the quality. I have rubbed out entire table tops this way. Circular motions are the way to go. I don't do it under power on the lathe as it may get hot, I trust my hands.

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Robert, good looking bowls. What is the wood? And the sizes?

Mike and the Tick are giving you good advice. Choose the method that works best for you, and do it that way in the future. My problem is, I keep forgetting what I just did.... .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
10 1/2" w 4 1/2" and 5 3/4"× 3 1/4"

And here are update pics on the big bowl. Inside might still be a little too glossy.

Robert

Robert, good looking bowls. What is the wood? And the sizes?

Mike and the Tick are giving you good advice. Choose the method that works best for you, and do it that way in the future. My problem is, I keep forgetting what I just did.... .......... Jerry (in Tucson)

20170530_210752.jpg

20170530_210836.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Congrats on the set! I haven't tried to make matching bowls, so I'm sure it was a challenge. Nice job! Chuck

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
@Nubsnstubs i forgot 1 thing, walnut. The big one from @EastmansWoodturning and the smalls from @Mike1950 .
@Nature Man , yea 3 are real close and 1 is about 3/16 smaller in diameter. That said, my friend doesn't want them EXACT, she wants them a little different from each other....and i am the right man for the job :sorry:

Robert