ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I had this old pencil sharpener in my shop for years. When I moved in the house back in 05 I found it in the basment. It was screwed to a wall. It was just as it looks in the before pix. Dirty and greasy grimey looking. It is originally the suction base version. But someone removed it and drilled a few holes in it.
So, I scraped the paint off and sanded it down. Then primed it.
Then decided I should fill the holes. I used milliput 2 part epoxy putty to fill em in.
Then sanded that down and reprimed it.
I went with a semi gloss black to match the original base color.
I just need to wait till it's dry to finish putting it back together.
I cleaned up the sharpeners and it still works great.
Here's some pix....
40767.jpeg 0821191521_HDR.jpg 0821191521a_HDR.jpg 0821191522_HDR.jpg 0821191522a_HDR.jpg 0821191522b_HDR.jpg 0821191522c_HDR.jpg 0821191522d_HDR.jpg 0821191528_HDR.jpg 0821191529_HDR.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
They were the greatest! Truly sharpened a dull pencil! My folks had one -- wish I had it now! Great job on the restorations! Chuck

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
Nice project. We have a pencil sharpener museum in Logan. Some fella collected them for years and then gave the collection to the Hocking County Visitor Center.
On youtube Paul A. Johnson pencil sharpener museum.

Last edited:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Too cool! That thing needs pinstriped!
I have an old one waiting for appropriate mount location.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Have one in the shop that eats pencils like cotton candy. Not sure what it's problem is, but about the time it's gets the pencil sharp it snaps the lead off and you start over. I think it's just plain worn out and the pins wobble on the cutting heads or something.

Bought a couple of the little square manual jobbers like you carried in your book bag at hobby lobby, thought I'd found something there. Angle isn't quite correct and turns them to a micro-fine point.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Have one in the shop that eats pencils like cotton candy. Not sure what it's problem is, but about the time it's gets the pencil sharp it snaps the lead off and you start over. I think it's just plain worn out and the pins wobble on the cutting heads or something.

Bought a couple of the little square manual jobbers like you carried in your book bag at hobby lobby, thought I'd found something there. Angle isn't quite correct and turns them to a micro-fine point.

They sell replacement cutter assemblies on ebay.
Or, clean it out. Unscrew the handle, then the pull the cutter unit out. Unscrew the 2 cutter screws, and clean em with a brass brush.
Then clean out the center of the unit. Most likely there's a broken pencil tip stuck down at the end.
Grease up the gear end a little bit and put it back together. See if that works.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Cool I'll give it a whirl and see what I can find. Have attempted to clean the center, and it does appear clean, but something in there isn't right.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Not as handsome as Marc’s, but mine is a ‘tactical ‘ unit apparently!:rofl: Ok, maybe not tactical...

929E2F1E-4CAB-45B5-8499-6BC89EE8D0C9.jpeg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice!