Old stuff

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Ok this may be a little long of a post for me. Last year, a good friend of mine had to sell their family farm due to his dad going in a nursing home. He was able to keep the house but not the farm. I went to get a piece of wood of the barn to make pens for him and his sons. The barn was built by his grandfather. I was looking around while I was there and saw some old scythes. I called him and told him there was some stuff he needed to get before they signed the papers. After he got there, I was climbing over a bunch of junk in the "workshop" and saw a nice wooden chest so I knew there was something good in it. I moved a bunch of junk off of it and opened it up. I showed it to Randy and he said they were his great grand dad's.

20210206_100248.jpg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I kept it at my house until today for him. I found a few other things in there like an edge plane and a shingle froe. I need to know what these are though. I think the one may be a tooth set for a saw but not sure. I told his son I would get you guys to look. I know y'all will know. The block planes are in great shape. I don't know how old these pieces are. They might not have been his great grandfathers but they would like to know because of the history behind this stuff.

20210206_100454.jpg

20210206_100503.jpg

20210206_100506.jpg

20210206_100523.jpg

20210206_100527.jpg

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
I figured @woodtickgreg or @Sprung could tell me.

I wanted to keep them if he didn't want them but I would rather the boys to have it. I don't have anything of my grandpa's or great grandpa's. Never got to meet either of them on either my mom or my dad's side.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Found my answer to the last two pics. It is a saw set. Still unsure about the other one

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Eric, the other item pictured in the post with the saw set is another tool that would be used when sharpening saws. It would hold a file for jointing along the teeth of the saw prior to sharpening.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
To have that tool chest with all the tools intact is quite the find too! Would be a wonderful family heirloom if the family is interested in keeping it, especially keeping it all together.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Thanks Matt. The youngest is keeping them. I told him if he ever gets rid of it, I want it

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
a
Eric, the other item pictured in the post with the saw set is another tool that would be used when sharpening saws. It would hold a file for jointing along the teeth of the saw prior to sharpening.
Any pictures of it in action?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Matt is correct, he beat me to it, lol. I have several of the saw sets, they where made by many manufacturers. Very cool box of family air looms.

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Thanks guys. I told them what the pieces were. It's going to stay in the family. That's a good thing.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Here is a video with a similar raker gauge.

So I watched the "chop with Chris" video that came up after. I enjoyed most of it, right up until Chris tested the sharpened saw by cutting an F1 or maybe prime black cherry log in half....what a way to end a video.