First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Ken,
Please do one of these on the first part of that - actually casting the insect in the plastic. I asked for advice on that in the "Casting" section a couple months ago. Notice how the air expands out of the bug's body as the resin heats up? That causes the silvery sheen and that bubble leaking out of one end. I have several nice beetles from our days living in Panama I want to cast but I want to try to avoid that air expansion problem.

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Ken,
Please do one of these on the first part of that - actually casting the insect in the plastic. I asked for advice on that in the "Casting" section a couple months ago. Notice how the air expands out of the bug's body as the resin heats up? That causes the silvery sheen and that bubble leaking out of one end. I have several nice beetles from our days living in Panama I want to cast but I want to try to avoid that air expansion problem.
This was an experiment for me and I can't say for sure how or why the air that was trapped in the butt blew apart like that. To be completely honest, I'm not sure how to prevent it from happening.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Has anyone tried warming the insect to 100f then applying a sealer. The bug should be cooling and drawing air in rather than expanding as it heats from the resin. Not a professional so this information is worth what you paid for it.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Has anyone tried warming the insect to 100f then applying a sealer. The bug should be cooling and drawing air in rather than expanding as it heats from the resin. Not a professional so this information is worth what you paid for it.
Haven't tried that. When my Dad and I cast bugs years ago he determined it was the exothermic heat from the epoxy causing the air to expand. So we did try putting the mold in an ice bath to slow the reaction. That helped but didn't prevent it. From the few web entries I could find it seems like the recommended process is to dip or coat the bug several times and let that dry before casting, and then do the casting in two or more steps depending on size.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Nice! I dont have an I pad but that would solve gps for unlicensed drivers. Wont help the fellow I saw last weekend. Riding down the sidewalk on a unicycle texting with both hands! I was driving so 'no' no picture.

I know.
It didnt happen.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Sad, 4 months into a new year before finding your show. So this metal rack, wow, heavy duty. Thin wall would work, but maybe harder to weld. Why did you leave the 3" corner stubs on top? They just seem to beckon getting caught on things for me. The open tubing, made me laugh. I have a few gallon buckets of various sized plastic plugs, square, rectangled and round. Rubber cane tips would work too. As for casters, they make inserts that would fit in the tubing you used. Assume you already had, didn't know or wanted the wheels further under.

I wondered why you cut lengths versus notching and bending the ends. You'd have less welding and the top stubs would be gone as well as the holes you dislike.

All in all professional job, enjoyed the learning experience.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Been nearly 30 years since I helped do Crown Molding. We actually used a safety pin to verify where studs and joist were so we nailed into them. Air nailers were only for the high pay guys, pre-drill and nail was common. I think we mitered complex Crown, but not symmetrical crown. For that we ran it straight into the corner, square end, then coped the marriage piece to fit. Way longer time wise. Does anyone still do that?

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Been nearly 30 years since I helped do Crown Molding. We actually used a safety pin to verify where studs and joist were so we nailed into them. Air nailers were only for the high pay guys, pre-drill and nail was common. I think we mitered complex Crown, but not symmetrical crown. For that we ran it straight into the corner, square end, then coped the marriage piece to fit. Way longer time wise. Does anyone still do that?
Coping.yes
Safety pin. Not usually (double top plate takes care of it on smaller crown)