Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Sad, 4 months into a new year before finding your show. So this metal rack, wow, heavy duty. Thin wall would work, but maybe harder to weld. Why did you leave the 3" corner stubs on top? They just seem to beckon getting caught on things for me. The open tubing, made me laugh. I have a few gallon buckets of various sized plastic plugs, square, rectangled and round. Rubber cane tips would work too. As for casters, they make inserts that would fit in the tubing you used. Assume you already had, didn't know or wanted the wheels further under.

I wondered why you cut lengths versus notching and bending the ends. You'd have less welding and the top stubs would be gone as well as the holes you dislike.

All in all professional job, enjoyed the learning experience.
The methods I show on the channel are merely suggestions and there are many other ways to do it other than the way I do. I left the upper studs because it gives me something to hold on to when I need to move it. It's been a great little firewood rack and you're right about the thinner wall material. A stick welder would blow through it much easier so I used the thicker walled steel. I find the notching and bending to be a bit of a pain and actually prefer to weld all the side. I enjoy welding so it's just another opportunity to get my slag fix in. LOL.

Kenbo

Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Question, why not extend the bottom sheet music shelf to meet in the center of the spline? Is it a visual balance issue or did you see an actual structural risk?
Making the shelf extend to the spine make it protrude when the music stand is folded up. Instead of a flat profile where all the lower ledges line up when in storage, the shelves stick out an extra 1+ inches, making it take up more space when folded. Plus, I didn't like how it looked when the pieces didn't align.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Been nearly 30 years since I helped do Crown Molding. We actually used a safety pin to verify where studs and joist were so we nailed into them. Air nailers were only for the high pay guys, pre-drill and nail was common. I think we mitered complex Crown, but not symmetrical crown. For that we ran it straight into the corner, square end, then coped the marriage piece to fit. Way longer time wise. Does anyone still do that?
Of course the still do the coping. It's mostly for solid wood molding like oak or other species. It's kind of a waste of time for MDF crown. Coping is time consuming but it is a skill for sure.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Of course the still do the coping. It's mostly for solid wood molding like oak or other species. It's kind of a waste of time for MDF crown. Coping is time consuming but it is a skill for sure.
Forgot you did say MDF, which likely would not cope as well as solid wood. Thank you.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Thanks Ken. These are super. I feel so good, been using one of the ideas for a long time, the paper. Although when I run out of my plain paper, I will definitely loo for freezer paper.

I have to think more about the magnets, the are so useful. I have two on my lathe now. One for the chuck key, the other for my measuring dividers.

thanks!!!

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Thanks Ken. These are super. I feel so good, been using one of the ideas for a long time, the paper. Although when I run out of my plain paper, I will definitely loo for freezer paper.

I have to think more about the magnets, the are so useful. I have two on my lathe now. One for the chuck key, the other for my measuring dividers.

thanks!!!
Glad that you found some of the tips useful. It's always nice to get positive feedback on the show.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
On the Grizzly portable dust collectors we have, they have little tabs that stick out to hold the band in place. Put a piece of packing tape on the dust bag at each tab and just hook the bag on them. Bag is on year 3, so far, so good.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
On the Grizzly portable dust collectors we have, they have little tabs that stick out to hold the band in place. Put a piece of packing tape on the dust bag at each tab and just hook the bag on them. Bag is on year 3, so far, so good.

Excellent idea. I love it. Thanks.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
I'm surprised you did not counter sink a rare earth magnet in the end of one of the fingers as an additional aid. Either on the inside or on the outside as both could serve purpose.
You are not the first to suggest this and it is an excellent suggestion that for some reason, didn't cross my mind. It will be added though.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
Ken, I just finished watching the uke build and was wondering how you put the strings through the saddle. I didn’t see it on the video.