Osage Orange

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
A while back I got a small hedge log and cut firewood rounds from another log. I've only started to process it so there are no photos yet. I noodled one round and am amazed at how little usable wood there is inside. A lot of wind shake going on. The pieces I did mill on my bandsaw are no particular size; I was just trying to work around the wind shake. Is this common for OO or is it just the particular tree I have. I would like to get a few bowl and pot blanks, even small ones, but I don't know if that's going to be possible.

Also, I have some Red Bud that pretty cracked inside. Pretty bad. I don't think any of it will be usable.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Yes, it's common in OO. Not universal, but common.

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
I've cut ALOT of Osage and I'd say 90% have wind shake and considerable cracking and checking in the centers yield even for blanks on a log is actually pretty bad

Flacer22

Reaction score
First name
Andy
These are all Osage logs I have in yard atm can't see real well but centers of every log are bad and bigger the log bigger the bad spot.

IMG_20200614_140820912.jpg

IMG_20200614_140818350.jpg

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes that's the way mine are. Still I've got a few more rounds left that I may be able to salvage a piece or two to play with.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Osage cracks horribly and quickly once it's cut. Ideally, you should seal it with Anchorseal as soon as you can when the tree is cut down, then every time you mill it. Just my 2 cents.