Painted finishes

Jimmy Norris

Reaction score
First name
Jimmy
Hello all. I lm looking for a suggestion. I have been asked to make a few pepper mills. But the customer wants them painted red. What would be a good paint or red finish for this occasion?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Depends on the look you want. Lacquer to make it look like an auto finish, or more "woodsy" where it's red, but you know it's a piece of wood.

Lacquer - bright shiny finish but cant tell it's in wood.

Dye - will be red colored, but will see grain patterns and color gradations, will need a top coat.

Milk paint - will obstruct grain and wood color, but will still know it's wood, will also need a top coat.

Other alternatives exist, these were just the first that occurred to me.

Maybe @William Tanner can suggest something, I know Bill has worked a bit with painting various projects.

Last edited:

William Tanner

Reaction score
First name
Bill
I paint just about everything be it brushed acrylics or some air brushing. I’m a beginner with the air brush but my painted projects are items that are not handled a lot. I enjoy painting with a brush and finish with Deft lacquer or Minwax poly. Again, I’m worried about durability on mills. It is something I would like to try to see what happens.

image.jpg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Or get you some maple or any light colored wood and have someone dye/stabilize it red.
Soft light colored willow, bass wood, or balsa wood should be prime candidates for some deep red cactus juice especially if you rough turn it to keep the deepest color possible. Dyes tend to fade if you get the wrong one, just a side note. And no I am not sure which ones are right or wrong.

Jimmy Norris

Reaction score
First name
Jimmy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you. The customer wants them a solid red. They’re going to be Christmas season mills.

i was thinking of the automotive spray lacquers from like autozone with a couple coats of clear.