• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Palo Verde

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Yesterday when heading into town, I notice that within 1 1/2 miles from my house land was being cleared. The dominant tree there is Parkinsonia microphylla. It's smaller than the Florida( Flow reeda) variety. It also doesn't really have any character other than some wild grain patterns.

Anyway, when retuning home, the equipment operator wasn't there and the land showed no signs of anyone present, so with my trespassing nature, I stopped and investigated. Boy, they devastated the Palo Verde population by ripping them out of the ground. The trees were from 4" diameter trunks all the way up to possibly 14" with multiple stems from 4-8" diameters. I have never seen any color in any of this variety before. All the split stumps had about 2-6" diameter color streaks in them.

So, with my thieving nature again, I grabbed one that was soaking wet that was about 7" OD. I then grabbed several that had died on the trunks last year. Most were about 2+ OD up to 4"?. Here is what I have. The 2 stacked green pieces are 5-6". The one with the bark cut off is 7" at the widest. I don't know how long they are. They are not in the deal I'm offering below. 211F6C02-DA78-48E8-8E43-9DB419742549_1_201_a.jpeg

All the small round stuff in the picture is up for grabs to whoever wants them. Five bucks plus postage for a large flat rate box. I will fill it with what ever will fit. For only 5 dollars I'm not going to sort and take pictures. It's not something I'm going to do. You get a box with what you see and possibly a couple more that you don't see. ................. Jerry (in Tucson)

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I love the story so I'll take a box! Lol
There's some nice spalting going through there.

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Ok Barb, it's yours... Probably won't go out til next Wednesday. I don't have any large boxes. This image is what will go into the LFR box. It's 17 pieces. I think it will be tight and you might only get 16 pieces. They range in lengths of 3 1/2" long to box depth. 462EE431-F6BB-454E-BA8C-7ACD8D572B2C_1_201_a.jpeg

Trev, I'll get some more tomorrow and cut up a box for you. Probably won't be any more after that until I find out how to go about getting more with proper permission. Hope they don't burn them before I make contact....... ......... Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Ok Barb, it's yours... Probably won't go out til next Wednesday. I don't have any large boxes. This image is what will go into the LFR box. It's 17 pieces. I think it will be tight and you might only get 16 pieces. They range in lengths of 3 1/2" long to box depth. View attachment 195140

Trey, I'll get some more tomorrow and cut up a box for you. Probably won't be any more after that until I find out how to go about getting more with proper permission. Hope they don't burn them before I make contact....... ......... Jerry (in Tucson)
Thank you! Looks good!

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
Ok Barb, it's yours... Probably won't go out til next Wednesday. I don't have any large boxes. This image is what will go into the LFR box. It's 17 pieces. I think it will be tight and you might only get 16 pieces. They range in lengths of 3 1/2" long to box depth. View attachment 195140

Trey, I'll get some more tomorrow and cut up a box for you. Probably won't be any more after that until I find out how to go about getting more with proper permission. Hope they don't burn them before I make contact....... ......... Jerry (in Tucson)
cool thx

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Barb, I can't find the stuff that is pictured above, so if you don't mind, I'll grab some of this stuff below and send that instead. 85% of it is just about 6" long, some are almost 5" OD
08CA0141-1DE1-4019-A904-D227D1FC2813_1_201_a.jpeg

@vegas urban lumber, above is a picture of what I now have. There is enough for 2 boxes, Barb gets one box, and you will get the other. It will have random OD's, but most should be almost 6" long.

I spent most of Sunday in Scottsdale visiting a friend who had some Desert Ironwood for me. He had collected this stuff when he was in high school. He's now 68 years old. Anyway, the first 2 pieces you see is the ironwood. The trunk lying across the bed is actually Cat Claw, Acacia Greggi, probably from Tucson as his family lived in Tucson in those days. I'm gonna cut this stuff up and offer it for sale when I can get the time to do it. 296271CA-B6E9-4D89-BD3C-1B3744048472_1_201_a.jpeg

The log directly behind this Ironwood is the Cat Claw trunk with the burls. It's just about 4' long and about 18-20' OD. Other odds and ends. some Mesquite and more CC and DI.

............... Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
That looks great! All of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you put up for sale too. The cat claw you sent me is hard as nails but so pretty.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
ju
That looks great! All of it. I'm looking forward to seeing what you put up for sale too. The cat claw you sent me is hard as nails but so pretty.
Well, here are the results., Barb. Box 1 has 13 pieces. 5697ACA9-8B3E-4254-8BBA-F2756CC346AF_1_201_a.jpeg
Box 2 has 12 pieces. 34923E73-A5DD-42D1-AFE3-8DD5B09F3165_1_201_a.jpeg I had to cut the pieces down to under 5 1/2' to fit. I saved the cookies from most of the cuts and they are stuffed in with the regular pieces.

Box 2 has 12 pieces, plus some of the smaller cookies.

Barb gets the first choice, and Trev, you get the leftovers. Isn't that great.

I need to be slapped because if you noticed in the 3rd picture above, there is a piece of wood that is not Palo Verde. It looks similar in color (I'm colorblind) to African American Sumac, but seems much harder. I have 2 pieces that I was going to include but for some reason was concentrating on the PV. Sorry, yall. PM me with pertinent info. When you do, I'll send you my paypal address with the dollar amount. I believe that LRFB is $21.70. Could be $22.70. You find out, and add that to $5.00, and I'll get this in the mail.

There will be no more Palo Verde until another day. ........ Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
i'll take the remainder
You get box #2, Trev. I'm leaving it up to you to pay the right postage for the LFRB plus 5 bucks. I'll Pm you with my particulars... I also need your address unless you leave it with the Paypal payment. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Parkinsonia microphylla, I don't have any in the reference collection. Assume the lot is cleared by now.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Parkinsonia microphylla, I don't have any in the reference collection. Assume the lot is cleared by now.
Nope, it drizzled for about 30 minutes this morning. It sent those construction guys running for a safe place. I was just there about 2PM and collected a bunch of stuff. Most of what you could make a sample from is GREEN. Real green as soaking wet Green... I believe that would be a better sample than the stuff shown in the above pictures. That stuff is full of live bugs and has a lot of tracks. The fresh green hasn't had the chance to attract bugs. So, you want a quartered and flat cut piece? Can do.

I have some other stuff that I don't know what it is, but it grew on that same property and elsewhere here in the desert. I doesn't get very large, 3" max OD, but sure has some nice color that I can see. I'll save the stuff for you until I get a box full, and then send it....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Nope, it drizzled for about 30 minutes this morning. It sent those construction guys running for a safe place. I was just there about 2PM and collected a bunch of stuff. Most of what you could make a sample from is GREEN. Real green as soaking wet Green... I believe that would be a better sample than the stuff shown in the above pictures. That stuff is full of live bugs and has a lot of tracks. The fresh green hasn't had the chance to attract bugs. So, you want a quartered and flat cut piece? Can do.

I have some other stuff that I don't know what it is, but it grew on that same property and elsewhere here in the desert. I doesn't get very large, 3" max OD, but sure has some nice color that I can see. I'll save the stuff for you until I get a box full, and then send it....... Jerry (in Tucson)

Sounds great Jerry,

For the unknown, maybe you could snap a few photos of the plant, bark, leaves and whatever, with a chance we could share on here and maybe with some of the local DNR folks in your area...to get an ID. Wish I was there getting the wood first hand, in a legal manner of course.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Missing all of these as well:

creosotebush (Larrea tridentata), triangle bursage (Ambrosia deltoidea),
brittle brush (Encelia farinosa), ocotillo (Fouqueria splendens), and
Berlandier wolfberry (Lycium belandieri)

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I got my wood today. Thank you very much!!

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Sounds great Jerry,

For the unknown, maybe you could snap a few photos of the plant, bark, leaves and whatever, with a chance we could share on here and maybe with some of the local DNR folks in your area...to get an ID. Wish I was there getting the wood first hand, in a legal manner of course.

Mark, on that unknown, it has been dead for a long time. There were about 4 pieces firewood lengths lying on the ground for a long, long time. They were easy to pick up and toss into the truck, so any readily available wood does not go to waste around me. When I cut one later that day, I was surprised to see it wasn't Mesquite. It could be African American Sumac. It has some of the color, but I don't see any tiny inclusions like those in the pieces I got years ago...............

Creosote Bush (Greasewood, locally) and Ocotillo are a piece of cake, but the sizes possibly won't make the standards you need for samples.

The Brittle Brush I have plenty growing on my property, but the stuff is pretty small and the 1/2" OD stems are very fragile after drying out. They are weeds, same as Berlandier wolfberry (Lycium belandieri), which also is growing here.

I actually had an Ocotillo die this year. The stems/sticks are about 1+ inch in diameter. I'll see how big they are at the root.

You need any Devil's claw? That's as brittle as the Brittle Brush.

How about a couple Saguaro ribs? Some are huge, about 4-5" but start tapering pretty quickly. .

One of these days I'll hit you up for postage on a box, and then send you this stash. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)