Palo Verde

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Mark, on that unknown, it has been dead for a long time. There were about 4 pieces firewood lengths lying on the ground for a long, long time. They were easy to pick up and toss into the truck, so any readily available wood does not go to waste around me. When I cut one later that day, I was surprised to see it wasn't Mesquite. It could be African American Sumac. It has some of the color, but I don't see any tiny inclusions like those in the pieces I got years ago...............

Creosote Bush (Greasewood, locally) and Ocotillo are a piece of cake, but the sizes possibly won't make the standards you need for samples.

The Brittle Brush I have plenty growing on my property, but the stuff is pretty small and the 1/2" OD stems are very fragile after drying out. They are weeds, same as Berlandier wolfberry (Lycium belandieri), which also is growing here.

I actually had an Ocotillo die this year. The stems/sticks are about 1+ inch in diameter. I'll see how big they are at the root.

You need any Devil's claw? That's as brittle as the Brittle Brush.

How about a couple Saguaro ribs? Some are huge, about 4-5" but start tapering pretty quickly. .

One of these days I'll hit you up for postage on a box, and then send you this stash. ............. Jerry (in Tucson)

I am not familiar with many of them, just read they that are associates of the yellow palo verde and was shooting in the dark. Laminates are a pain, and I hinder you enough. So packing a bunch of brittle items probably not worth it, unless you are sending some of the cacti group. I have 'chain-fruit and staghorn cholla' and hope to get some 'saguaro'
sewaro cactus, Carnegiea gigantea some day. Actually, just happy to add to the collection for the most part. Here is a south american relative.
1604146654072.png

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mark, here are two doors I made using Hickory as the base with Saguaro ribs on the top half. These are two of six doors I have made for him in the last 20 years. The other 4 doors were full size as apposed to these pictured. IMG_6128.JPG ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Doug, they are protected on public lands. On private property you can kill as many as you want. You can also give them away to whomever you choose, but when that whomever leaves your property with it, whomever better have a paid for permit from the state of Arizona for however many whomever was given. Each live Saguaro needs it's own permit to be transported from the original location to the new location.

Last year near my home, I saw a construction company knock down over 75 different sized Saguaros and put them in a pile to haul off to the dump. That's when I found out about the laws because like you, I thought they were protected.

BLM lands management has a disclaimer that persons can collect dead wood cactus free of charge. I do think that a state permit is needed for Saguaro skeletons for transport, but I haven't asked yet because I haven't seen any yet on BLM land. When I do, and if it's worth taking, I'll check into it...

A lot of the Saguaro ribs I've used for projects came up from Mexico, or were given to me by someone buying a house made in the '50's that used ribs as decorative aspects of their home. The new modern owners don't like the look, and get rid of them. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
You have any boxes left? Or all out now? Some
Awesome spalting!
Zack, I believe I could fill another box with what's left. $26.10 will get you what is left in the 3rd photo. you won't know if you got a deal until you open the box. As far as pictures, you must take a picture of the contents and post it here. PM me with your address and I'll send you my paypal address......... Jerry (in Tucson)

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Doug, they are protected on public lands. On private property you can kill as many as you want. You can also give them away to whomever you choose, but when that whomever leaves your property with it, whomever better have a paid for permit from the state of Arizona for however many whomever was given. Each live Saguaro needs it's own permit to be transported from the original location to the new location.

Last year near my home, I saw a construction company knock down over 75 different sized Saguaros and put them in a pile to haul off to the dump. That's when I found out about the laws because like you, I thought they were protected.

BLM lands management has a disclaimer that persons can collect dead wood cactus free of charge. I do think that a state permit is needed for Saguaro skeletons for transport, but I haven't asked yet because I haven't seen any yet on BLM land. When I do, and if it's worth taking, I'll check into it...

A lot of the Saguaro ribs I've used for projects came up from Mexico, or were given to me by someone buying a house made in the '50's that used ribs as decorative aspects of their home. The new modern owners don't like the look, and get rid of them. ............ Jerry (in Tucson)
Thanks for clarifying Jerry. My Mom lives in Wickenburg and they had one fall over at their old house and I remember her saying something about there needing to get special permission to haul it away or something.

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
Jerry I got my box! Pretty awesome stuff. Does this have to be stabilized to turn? Seems pretty flaky with a lot of bug holes. I have wanted to try to turn some epoxy, so there’s an idea. I don’t have any at the moment though.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Zack, if you are going to turn Mills, yep. This wood has been dead for a long time, so it's as stable as Mesquite. You should be able to make some nice stuff if you do epoxy it. Just make sure you follow the directions on whatever epoxy you use.

If you are into pencil holders and such, all I would do is blow out or pick out the powder and stuff from the bug tracks and leave all the holes like it is. The three large pieces are all off the same branch. The turned piece gives you an idea of the OD you can get. Your imagination is going to be your best buddy on this stuff. Good luck, and please show the final results of every piece. hehehehe

If you have any question, do not hesitate to pose them................. Jerry (in Tucson)

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Thanks for clarifying Jerry. My Mom lives in Wickenburg and they had one fall over at their old house and I remember her saying something about there needing to get special permission to haul it away or something.
Doug, I like Wickenburg. I go through there at least twice a year. I remember back in '67 when I got out of the Army driving west , I stopped in at a restaurant for a roadside meal. The freeway system wasn't complete then so some of the highways took us into towns now avoided because of the freeways. It still looked like an old western town. I believe there still were a couple hitching post/rails in front of a couple stores. The town was just beautiful. I wouldn't say that today, but, it is still a nice place to go through. ................ Jerry (in Tucson)