• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Paulownia

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
There's something on my mind. Maybe you guys can help me find a solution. A wonderful guy named Ted, who was a friend of mine and a maker of folk furniture, was gruesomely murdered about a year ago by a perfect stranger he tried to help. It made national news because it was so horrible and weird. He had a barn full of good wood that his wife doesn't quite know what to do with. I'm just sniffing around for a good outlet. Can you folks think of a way to auction it to help his wife out with expenses? I would volunteer to help set the thing up, take photos, etc.

I don't now what he has as I haven't been in his barn for years, but he was certainly a collector. I'd have to go do an inventory if anybody can think of a way to handle this.

Last edited:

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
That is really sad. Maybe some of our members in your area can help out. If there are any woodworking clubs in that area, get word to them and maybe they can help move it. Have you seen the wood and do you know it's dimensions on average? Bowl blanks sell well on Etsy.

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
Larry, thanks for the good response. His widow is out of town right now, but when she gets back I'll gently touch down on that issue now that you've given me some ideas about how to proceed.
Till later.
c:

barefoot

Reaction score
First name
Carla
Hey all -
I have access to a few Paulownia trees that I can cut and haul if I want to. Curious if anyone has turned bowls with this species, and whether it's worth the trouble to go get it. I've seen everything from "it's boring junk" to stories of people stealing these trees because they're so valuable? That last is a bit surprising, because they are invasive and seem to grow pretty quickly.
I'd love to hear any experiences with it or see any examples. Cheers -

Gregg
Gregg, these trees are prized in Japan. When a child is born they plant a paulownia tree and when that (girl) gets married they make a wedding chest out of it because it's virtually indestructible--doesn't respond to humidity doesn't crack, burns at the temperature of cement, makes good charcoal, is a phenomenal acoustical wood (used for kotos), a new tree will grow out of a cut stump, great for making lightweight but strong plywood, has beautiful flowers, etc. I prize it since I made a guitar top out of it which is awesome! This site has a lot more information; just explore the site to get full information.

2006_1128Image0004.JPG