Paypal " friends and family"

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
If a certain someone highly insist for the buyers to pay that way, just walk away from it as there are other opportunities you will have to purchase wood in this board. If a buyer volunteers to pay that way (thank you) is one thing, but to insist for buyers to pay that way to save 3% at the sellers end, then the buyer has no protection/recourse should something goes wrong.

There is one thing I do use in the barter system here at Woodbarter is to use their feedback system as buyer or seller. That helps gauge members track record. Members who constantly post and has a track record of wanting to stay here, I have no problem paying them that way. You fellas know who you are.

I have at several occasions have volunteered to ship the woods before getting payment- yes you have to feel comfortable and know this person before you can cross that threshold.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
If a certain someone highly insist for the buyers to pay that way, just walk away from it as there are other opportunities you will have to purchase wood in this board. If a buyer volunteers to pay that way (thank you) is one thing, but to insist for buyers to pay that way to save 3% at the sellers end, then the buyer has no protection/recourse should something goes wrong.

There is one thing I do use in the barter system here at Woodbarter is to use their feedback system as buyer or seller. That helps gauge members track record. Members who constantly post and has a track record of wanting to stay here, I have no problem paying them that way. You fellas know who you are.

I have at several occasions have volunteered to ship the woods before getting payment- yes you have to feel comfortable and know this person before you can cross that threshold.
I disagree. You and papal have an agreement. Kinda like your bank. When you get caught screwing the bank out of money, it always ends badly. Same with paypal.
I appreciate the thought when someone pays f&f but tell them I prefer G&S in future. Also explain that is how people get screwed.
I do not want to lose my paypal privileges. Have seen it happen...

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
I've not heard of people losing PP privileges over F&F for almost 2 years, certainly a year and a half at least. PP actually owns Venmo which is specifically for free money transfers. So I'm not sure they care as much as they once did about FF. If you send FF via PayPal, they say something to the effect of "consider GS if you want protection", so it sounds more like a consideration than a requirement. Maybe I'm reading their attitude wrong, but I think their rigidity has changed with the times.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
I disagree. You and papal have an agreement. Kinda like your bank. When you get caught screwing the bank out of money, it always ends badly. Same with paypal.
I appreciate the thought when someone pays f&f but tell them I prefer G&S in future. Also explain that is how people get screwed.
I do not want to lose my paypal privileges. Have seen it happen...
But, I can’t control that Mike when I receive it that way and “I don’t ever” insist on it when I sell something because I know what the ramifications are. People using their service should know the rules and regulations- it’s their responsibility both as a buyer and a seller. I should not have to and have the need to have to remind them because in order to use their service, you have to read their terms and limitations. I always fully insure the buyers items regardless of the payment method received just because anything can and might go wrong.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
WAIT - my credit card gets charged a fee everytime I use F&F. So what y'all are saying I'm paying the fee direct and not getting the service?
You have to have PP cash balance or cash available directly funded from your bank when making a purchase- otherwise when you use your credit card, you absorb the transaction fee as a buyer.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You have to have PP cash balance or cash available directly funded from your bank when making a purchase- otherwise when you use your credit card, you absorb the transaction fee as a buyer.
On how it is transacted for me - If I use the commercial button - If I pay $50 then my card gets charged $50.00 but the seller gets $50.00 less fees. If I choose to use F&F and if I pay $50.00 then my card gets charged $50.00 plus fees and the buyer gets $50.00. One way or another PP will get their fees - there is no "free" transfer whether or not I have a cash balance or direct link to my bank account (like that will ever happen) or credit card charge. But I use the PP MC to pay. That gives me essentially the same or better protection that the G&S.

Last edited:

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Ok, before this horse is beaten to a pulp how about this; if you are so strapped that you are worried about the fees (on your $50 scenario is less that $2.00) sell your wood for the cost you want and the cost of the fee so again the $50 wood you sell for $51.50.(:drinks:)

My gosh! I have to figure out everything for you people! Do you get why I have a moat yet? You people are exhausting...

:sofa: :read:

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
I know someone who works in security department. They care.
Well thats good to know! I guess thats why a lot of folks have switched to Venmo, zelle, FB messenger pay, etc. Or just good old checks. Whenever I make a big purchase for my other, more expensive hobby, thats how I send the money. Via check. I'll use PP GS if I want buyer protection.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Well thats good to know! I guess thats why a lot of folks have switched to Venmo, zelle, FB messenger pay, etc. Or just good old checks. Whenever I make a big purchase for my other, more expensive hobby, thats how I send the money. Via check. I'll use PP GS if I want buyer protection.
Venmo- Fb messenger - absolutely no protection. might as well send cash in mail. Might work if you are sending $50 but how about $5,000.
I sell a lot of wood- zero venmo- almost zero FB messenger. But you as buyer have 000000000000000000000000000000000 protection with either.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
and folks- I am a seller- this means I am advocating taking a 3% hit on every sale. Think about that. How more unbiased could I get. In the end F&F will burn you- so will venmo-or.....

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Hey, you could just pay with bitcoin but then you’d have a possible short term capital gain tax monkey to deal with. :deal:

kazuma78

Reaction score
First name
Josh
Venmo- Fb messenger - absolutely no protection. might as well send cash in mail. Might work if you are sending $50 but how about $5,000.
I sell a lot of wood- zero venmo- almost zero FB messenger. But you as buyer have 000000000000000000000000000000000 protection with either.
Absolutely, it just boils to knowing who you are dealing with and whether you can trust them. I've sent a check before for 6k+ for an item and used checks or free transfers for multiple items for $2k-$4k. No problem. I use common sense to determine when I use a free payment method VS GS, and I've used GS plenty. I've bought and sold things my entire life for thousands of items and I've never sent money for something I didn't recieve. So I guess that common sense has worked pretty well for me so far.