Pen Blank experiment

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I'd say you've been pretty darn successful. Great colors and swirls! All are great, but really like the yellow and orange. The translucency you've got with those really makes them stand out.

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd say you've been pretty darn successful. Great colors and swirls! All are great, but really like the yellow and orange. The translucency you've got with those really makes them stand out.
Thanks! The yellow with the darker stabilized redwood has been a lot of people’s favorite!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
5-9 look orange to me. I like that. But they all look great.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Those are extremely cool- digging the orange one and they look like rose petals.
I bet if you swapped 7 & 8 (to 8 & 7 from left to right), they would form an rose orange petal pattern.

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don
Those are extremely cool- digging the orange one and they look like rose petals.
I bet if you swapped 7 & 8 (to 8 & 7 from left to right), they would form an rose orange petal pattern.
I think I see it🤔

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Those are all very sweet! 5-9 are labeled as white, I believe that's why Marc said they look orange.

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don
Those are all very sweet! 5-9 are labeled as white, I believe that's why Marc said they look orange.
Oh my goodness!🤭You’re absolutely right I didn’t notice that! That’s what I get for trying to be sarcastic I guess. Anyway thank you!

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Looking great. I got some spalted hackberry that had a knot area that is much darker. Ws thinking of doing a similar hybrid with red translucent and white swirl but am still procrastinating. That right there makes me almost get started... :good2:

Don Van Dyne

Reaction score
First name
Don

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
There wasnt a lot of color left. Just dribbles here and there. The non stabilized spalted wood just about killed the project at the drilling and at the turning stage.
I have a pot, just didnt use it on this blank. Lazy days are over. Cant stand that kind of screwups twice. 20210821_201952.jpg 20210821_201946.jpg
The white streak in the second picture is planned. The plan may not work so well, it looks almost like a separation. Will have to use a lot more white or none at all.
This will be a user, not a sales item. Not even an advertising item. Just a usable pen that the wife can drop in her purse

Last edited: