Pen Tube Sander Thingy

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
I bought this device for sanding pen tubes. I put it aside and now I don't know how it works. Not sure if I bought it here or at IAP, I will check with them.

NEVER MIND I FOUND IT!

20190131_153237[1].jpg

Last edited:

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Well John, since you put it out there, tell us about it!

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
It’s a Rick Herrell sanding jig for the lather. You put it in a Jacobs chuck in the tail stock and a disk sander on the headstock. You then use a punch that the pen barrel fits on and start sanding down to the tube. Great device! I use it all the time now.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
I bought one a few years ago. It really is an amazing tool.
If you use a pen punch for a guide, you can set the depth for the length of the brass tube so you get an exact
finished length as you sand the blank.
Another tip is to use the tool rest & let this tool lay against it as you sand the barrel, so you don't have to fight it by holding
it in your hands as you sand.

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK once more - I am thinking you place the post that came with the device in one of the holes (does it matter which one) and secure it with the screw on the bottom, That goes in the chuck - a punch goes in the grove and is secured by the provided screw.

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
Wow, I would love to see this thing in action, because I can't decipher what it does or how it works...I am a little dense that way. Anyone got a link? :ponder::headscratch2::sarcastic:

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
If you Google Rick Herrell pen sanding jig and check Images there are several pics of it set up.

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I have one but don’t know where it is

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
If you Google Rick Herrell pen sanding jig and check Images there are several pics of it set up.
I was using a different search engine and kept coming up empty, Google found it right off! Thanks, I get it now. So now I have a new question, and please keep in mind I have only been turning pens a few months so I don't know what I don't know or how much better my pens could be with some better techniques.

I have been using a barrel trimmer, which seems to do a fine job prior to turning and just hit the ends on a 5 inch sanding disk laid on my work bench, aside from power turning the ends quicker, what it the advantage or benefit I am missing out on with this method. I have seen several versions of this in my searches, but I can't really see the advantage of going through all the effort to find another way to sand down the blanks ends.

Thank you in advance for the tips. :saw:

Johnturner

Proud Member
Reaction score
First name
John
Although I have had good luck with barrell trimmers, many say they can chew up blanks. Sanding seems to be a better way.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
If I want to get rid of a lot of material I use a barrel trimmer but when it gets down to the fine work this works really well. It's very controlled and with a light tough right on. The different holes allow you to move the sanding point so your able to use more of the sandpaper. While it take a bit to set up I'm usually in the pen making mode or seam ripper mode etc. so I just leave it on until I'm done. Oh, I have two lathes.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
It’s a Rick Herrell sanding jig for the lather. You put it in a Jacobs chuck in the tail stock and a disk sander on the headstock. You then use a punch that the pen barrel fits on and start sanding down to the tube. Great device! I use it all the time now.

I also found that if you use a mill first but don’t take it all the way down to the tube. Then turn the blank down somewhat close to final diameter and then put it on the sanding jig on the lathe and clean up the ends to the tube. A lot easier and helps the sand paper last longer.