Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Picture quality for Etsy

Discussion in 'Turning Critique Forum' started by Az Turnings, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Az Turnings

Az Turnings Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    blake
    so I was wanting to post some of my items for sale on Etsy and wanted to get some opinions on camera angles and such. This is what I have so far. The only camera I have is the one on my I phone 6s so go easy on me lol. All comments welcome! :good2:

IMG_2827.JPG

IMG_2828.JPG

IMG_2829.JPG

IMG_2830.JPG

IMG_2831.JPG

IMG_2835.JPG

IMG_2836.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  2. West River WoodWorks

West River WoodWorks Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    I think your pen shots a great, good detail and color.
    I struggle myself with photographing my bowls, hollow forms and platters.
    Try to get a profile shot to show off the exterior shape. I use a photo light box which diffuses the light for a softer appearance with few shiny spots or shadows. I like to use a white back ground to make the piece pop off the background.
    I also use picturemonkey.com to edit my photos, its free photo editing software.
    Good luck
    Tom

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. The100road

The100road Member Full Member

First name:
    Stan
    @rocky1 has given some great picture taking advice.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    I think, you should center the items in the picture. Less back ground showing the better.
    and for the pens, maybe shoot em like this...

17155823_10212171853194984_479181410256546803_n.jpg

Or the opposite angle....

17201044_10212171853274986_3698015039734326349_n.jpg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    a nice sunny day outside in some shade works good for me. even an overcast day, then there's no glare. And those were taken with my phone too...

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Mike Hill

Mike Hill The Bard of Barbecue Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    With Marc on the advice on the pens. Would also keep the background as simple as possible. One of the objects is to keep all of the item in focus or very close to focus. You are taking these in somewhat macro mode and that limits the depth of field. Essentially, you should strive to keep all parts of the item equal distant from the lens (on the same plane). Your 4th pen picture is dramatic because of the perspective, but out of focus in many areas. The other 3 are good, but my eyes sees too much background. Bowls ain't easy. There is not one shot alone that gives me the information I want about a bow = so at least 3 views. I like to see the bottom of the bowl, bottom of the inside, and the side profile of the exterior. I also prefer dark neutral backgrounds either gradated or not. That can lead to some tricky lighting if you have a dark piece. So darker piece = lighter background. Again simple backgrounds. The more textures, materials, shapes in a background the more the background distracts the eye.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. Nubsnstubs

Nubsnstubs Where is it??? Full Member

First name:
    Jerry
    Nice looking stuff there, Blake. I'll bet you kept your speed down some while cleaning up that bowl bottom.

I am amazed at the quality of the phone camera. I didn't think it would be possible to get that clarity from something as small as that. The others commenting before me have given you good pointers. Follow their advice and your pictures will greatly improve.

One thing I've noticed from looking at other peoples picture taking is they don't seem to be concerned about whether there might be some type of distraction in the picture, like all those brick joints. For the bowl, it's unavoidable, but the pens could have been centered in a brick, and the picture taken with just a flat surface of the brick showing with the pens lying on it. But, for a young kid, I think you will get pretty darn good as you get older, and will be giving us old farts some reminders from what you are now learning from us. ........... Jerry (in Tucson)

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    -- First thing.... I wouldn't use the sidewalk for taking pictures of my pens to sell on Etsy Blake. While it is a nice neutral color in natural light background, it's waaaay too easy to scratch finishes there! Pick up a bit of grit in a pen mechanism. Whatever...

This is not to mention the potential Etsy customers that are gonna say, "Ewwwww, it's been on the sidewalk! God knows how much doggy poo has been tracked over that!! The Germs, the Germs!!! OMG... It is absolutely beautiful, but I am NOT buying that pen."

Since you're out there in the middle of the desert and don't have grass in your yard like normal folks, you might try something simple like a classy looking binder for a backdrop, suede jacket, inside of a book cover.

-- As others have stated, avoid situations such as the joints in the sidewalk, they make your pictures too busy. The joints draw one's eye away from the object of the picture... your pen.

-- The closer you can get to the object and remain in focus, the more detail you'll get in your picture, and the more accurate your lighting will be. That being said, shooting your pen diagonally from corner to corner allows you get much closer to the pen, in turn allowing more detail to show in your picture. While Macro can be a bit fussy, you should have a tolerance of +/- an inch or two in depth of field (range of focus). You'll simply have to play with the camera to see where that's at; see how much you can get away with turning your pens in the pictures up close.

-- The last thing that will bite you with picture taking of any nature is camera movement; get up close and personal, shooting macro shots, and any movement is magnified drastically. Try to stabilize your camera by anchoring a hand on the table, bench, sidewalk, appropriately situated body part, tree, post, whatever... Just make sure it isn't shaking or wobbling when the shutter clicks.

Your pictures do look good, don't get me wrong. Just pointing out things you might want to consider for future reference.

If you're going to rely on cell phone pictures, and not buy a camera, you might make camera quality a primary consideration in phone selection the next time you upgrade. I just recently upgraded mine to the Kyocera 6810, has a 13 mp camera, takes awesome pictures, but they all look reddish to me. Easy enough to fix, either on the phone with it's photo editing software, or on the computer with photo editing software.

Personally, I use Photoshop Elements for photo editing, runs about $85, it has way more ability than anyone really needs. Ease of use for the average editing job is a matter of a few clicks. Then "Save for Web" to reduce image and file size.

• Informative Informative x 4
    • Great Post Great Post x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  9. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    This is where I get pix of my pens n stuff....

IMG_20170429_150448297.jpg

IMG_20170429_150514476.jpg

I put a piece of bark under one side to raise it up off the crete.
    I rest my phone against the high side and zoom in...

I used to get good pix on my deck railing, but since I stained it red, they don't look good there now...

Don't mind the crappy looking pen. Its been my edc since day one of it's birth...lol

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
  10. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Can you get some corian? A 1ft square would be perfect for pens.

11. Az Turnings

First name:
    blake
    How's this for background? Still too busy?

IMG_2851.JPG

12. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Take the pic horizontally. Make the writting straight across. Pen at an angle, top corner to bottom corner...
    Then post it up....

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. JR Custom Calls

JR Custom Calls Gobble Gobble Full Member

First name:
    Jonathan
    I think more important than having the nicest pictures is being able to use the correct keywords so that people actually find your stuff. Etsy is great, but you have to know how to play the game. I spend $3-400 a month in advertising fees on etsy... But it's well worth it. I didn't sell a thing until I learned what tags to use, titles, etc.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Az Turnings

First name:
    blake
    Would you be willing to share a few secrets :sofa:

• Like Like x 2
  15. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    3 problems there...

1.) Background is predominantly white and your camera is going to adjust white balance and try to neutralize that to some extent. In doing so it may cause your pictures to be a tad dark.

2.) Yeah, it's still kind of busy. Find yourself a scrap of medium brown or medium gray carpet, short pile so the pen doesn't sink in it. As stated earlier, maybe a suede leather jacket. Go by Wally World see if they have any elegant towels, pick up a hand towel in a dark color, and one in medium color. Might cost you $5 apiece to play with them. Local carpet store would probably give you all the carpet scraps you want.

3.) Busy is isn't all bad, but if you're gonna be busy, turn the writing horizontal-ways so everyone doesn't have to tip their heads to the side to try and read what it says. :lol2:

• Like Like x 2
  16. JR Custom Calls

JR Custom Calls Gobble Gobble Full Member

First name:
    Jonathan

Sure... But what I sell and what you make are in a totally different category, so the tags that I use would be worthless for you. What I would suggest you do is find some etsy sellers that have lots of sales... and I'm not suggesting to copy them, as I don't like that. What I'm suggesting is to read through their listings. See how they list things. Key words they use. Don't necessarily use the same keywords, but look at how they 'spin' things to get the most sales.

I'd consider promoting your listings if you want to make quick sales. You can set daily spending limits.

17. The100road

The100road Member Full Member

First name:
    Stan
    @Az Turnings I have been thinking about the same thing. Did you ever move forward with Etsy?

If so, how has it been working out?

18. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Az Turnings

First name:
    blake
    So I tried some new things with pics on pens. Not sure if it's better or worse. Let me know! @rocky1 @ripjack13

IMG_3573.JPG

IMG_3574.JPG

IMG_3575.JPG

IMG_3577.JPG

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 3
  20. Az Turnings

First name:
    blake
    2 more

IMG_3580.JPG

IMG_3581.JPG