Pink Ivory and mystery wood (???)

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
Ok in another thread a couple of months ago I discussed the color change of pink ivory and I showed my sample and many people said that it looked very brown.
Well now I managed to get a new sample to compare and they do look a lot different although I do remember my original sample was pink back in the day.... not sure if it was this pink. Well end grain (pink ivory needs more work) looks quite similar I was thinking maybe my sample was actually B. discolor but I would have to get a sample to compare.
Any Guesses or suggestions?

On the right, you can see my sample, and on the left the new sample

First is end grain picture is my original sample and second the new sample

thumbnail_image2.jpg

thumbnail_image0.jpg

thumbnail_image3.jpg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
A member sent me some samples of verified pink Ivory, it fluoresces much more that the mystery wood I had ...

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
All I can add is that the color doesn't look quite like pink ivory but doesn't rule it out, and the end grain seems more or less consistent with pink ivory although a bit hard to tell with the lack of full detail. Maybe you can check it against my site if you have a 10X loupe. Also, I corrected your title from "mistery" to "mystery" so it looks normal.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I remember @Mr. Peet response posting on Barry’s thread on the mystery wood that @Gonzalodqa sample is “brown ivory” (berchemia discolor). It is characterized with “red-brown with pink tinge”. The hue to the right is what I have seen more off and the 16/4 curly stock I have- it is red ivory/pink ivory (berchemia zeyheri).

You should put the older sample away in a drawer away from natural light and leave the new red pink ivory out to see what happens to the color after 6 months, 12 months, 18 months and 24 months- photographing it would be good at the same location and the same time of the day.

Are they raw without a finish or do they have a finish? If they have a finish, what did you use?

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
the old sample has shellac (3 coats) the new samples is unfinished. I am planing to get a B. discolor and compare them. I have to talk to my friend at NEHOSOC to see if they have any sample left.
I will post more about it as it develops.
PS: the picture idea is great I will follow it to see if something changes

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
the old sample has shellac (3 coats) the new samples is unfinished. I am planing to get a B. discolor and compare them. I have to talk to my friend at NEHOSOC to see if they have any sample left.
I will post more about it as it develops.
PS: the picture idea is great I will follow it to see if something changes

Clear shellac versus amber shellac based on what you use will transform the hue of the subject. Basic color theory of mixing yellow with pink = peach to orange. Any finish with a yellow tint or aged tint will result to a color change of the original hue. If you use nitrocellulose lacquer, the lacquer will yellow over time and will change the original hue and will become warmer. Let’s take curly maple as example- it has a base color hue of yellow (really pale version). You see this effect on guitars when they use a blue dye on the maple, then they spray clear. At the end of it depending on the concentration of the blue dye use (some use it straight and some dilute it with water, alcohol, etc.)- it will not be purely blue and you will get a cast of blue-green and over the time as it ages, the blue-green will be more apparent.

I mix shellac and denatured alcohol so I can get better flow and to keep the color as new as possible- that has been my luck with the red pink ivory that I have.

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
I also use clear shellac basically because I do want to preserve my samples color.
I will follow how this new sample reacts to finish, although I don’t think I will be able to finish it until in a couple of weeks

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
Update:
I got a sample of B. discolor. I haven’t sand it or process it in anyway yet but the difference in appearance, although that is quite variable, is noticeable.
middle one still a mystery

EE104FB5-FAC1-452F-B016-8809C13B5221.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
B. discolor. WHICH "B" ? An what does it have to do with pink ivory?

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Berchemia discolor, other species in the pink ivory genus
Thanks. Berchemia discolor is not one I'm familiar w/. Any idea what color it normally is?

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
The common name is brown ivory and according to NEHOSOC “The sapwood is yellow to straw-colored, the heartwood is yellow-brown to dark red-brown”
The sample on the right of the picture I got from them. I got it to compare it with the mystery specimen in the middle. I still have to sand it before I stay doing the comparison but so far the end grain looks similar to pink ivory

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
The common name is brown ivory and according to NEHOSOC “The sapwood is yellow to straw-colored, the heartwood is yellow-brown to dark red-brown”
The sample on the right of the picture I got from them. I got it to compare it with the mystery specimen in the middle. I still have to sand it before I stay doing the comparison but so far the end grain looks similar to pink ivory
I'll be interested in seeing all the end grains

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
Update:
Pictures of end grain

1- B. discolor
2- B. zeyheri
3- mystery wood

the mystery wood looks similar to pink ivory (and it was sold as such) maybe it is? 🤷‍♂️

85A7F23E-C58C-4E82-BA71-F59EA0542EEA.jpeg

7BF39682-3BA1-4C8E-BD94-F18A8055506F.jpeg

E361473F-2906-4A08-AD3E-B9D03397B048.jpeg

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Why is there such a fascination with this species that this subject matter has been “beaten to death” in so many threads? My feedback is based on your post #11 of the upright photo’s and not based on the end grain pics. The middle one is pink ivory- it is not the “red” pink ivory because if it was, the color will be deep like ripe watermelon. Also, I don’t know where you get your samples like the pink ivory to the left- why are they so pale? I’ve processed so much of it and even in the raw, it shouldn’t look washed out. The 3rd sample on the right I highly doubt that is “brown ivory/berchemia discolor”. It has no color relationship within the pink hue from shade to tint typical of pink ivory. The color of that 3rd piece should be close to the middle one, but shifting towards slightly with a brownish tinge.

If you really want that rich, vibrant and deeper pink ivory, you have to find “red pink ivory”. That is 90% of what I have in my library because it is usually deep and richer in color, more on the “shade” of it’s hue (not a tint), that by experience retains the color better compare to the salmon or salmon with pinkish tinge, pink ivory.

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Yep, the end grain of that first one is a good match in the end grain to Berchemia discolor according to the NCSU site.

The third one has an end grain similar to pink ivory but has a noticeable lack of clear growth ring boundaries, and of course the color is unlikely although not impossible.

Good pics by the way.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Yep, the end grain of that first one is a good match in the end grain to Berchemia discolor according to the NCSU site.

The third one has an end grain similar to pink ivory but has a noticeable lack of clear growth ring boundaries, and of course the color is unlikely although not impossible.

Good pics by the way.
The photo’s are good, but for comparison sakes, the 3rd one should not be rotated and should be taken the same 180 degree orientation as the first and second end grain. The first one and second one has presence of direct sunlight, the 3rd one should have been taken the same manner and would have “heighten the details of the end grain”.

Last edited: