Pink ivory fluorescence

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
Set up under black light to see if the chunk in the middle was old pink ivory, thought the pics were interesting enough to share...

IMG_2752.jpg

IMG_2758.jpg

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Hey Brian, I stumbled onto this post looking for another old one, does Pink Ivory fluoresce?

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes, absolutely. In my experience, it ranges from a hot orange to a sort of murky greeny orange. Here's a pic of a few little blanks. Sorry about pic quality- I am sitting on a tub of dog food in a closet!

20210409_090502.jpg

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
That is pretty interesting I didn’t know that. I might tear that weird sample of pink ivory to see if it really es the real deal

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I had some pink wood, that I asked for ID help here;
I sent a piece to Arn to look at cause he ahas lots of experience with pink ivory. His conclusion was that it was not pink ivory, maybe Peroba Rosa . I just put a black lite to it and it fluoresces slightly, not as much as Brian's appears to. Who knows, maybe Peroba Rosa can fluoresce too:unknown:

Last edited:

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
I had some pink wood, that I asked for ID help here;
I sent a piece to Arn to look at cause he ahs lots of experience with pink ivory. His conclusion was that it was not pink ivory, maybe rosa permando . I just put a black lite to it and it fluoresces slightly, not as much as Brian's appears to. Who knows, maybe rosa permandu can fluoresce too:unknown:
Hey Barry, post a photo of it if possible- bringing this topic back up is a great idea :good2:as it should benefit us members here from looking at it at a different perspective, as an alternative method to id wood based on absenteeism or existence of fluorescence characteristics.

bhatleberg

Reaction score
First name
Brian
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In use, pink ivory will burn easy on a belt sander - it heats up fast bc of density. And the burns often go more than surface deep - I always use a new belt and give it a rest, because you can lose color quick. Also has a distinctive smell when this happens - hard to describe, but kind of resinous/plastic to me. It has tap tone (unless the piece is cracked, which a lot are) but nowhere close to a rosewood. And when you work it, it kind of shatters - if you use a dull blade, it'll splinter out on you. Finally, when you sand it, it'll take a polish. Not to the same degree as diw, but similar in that it really comes clear and pops in the high grits / buffing.

Don't know if those help for your ID, but that's how I think about it.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
In use, pink ivory will burn easy on a belt sander - it heats up fast bc of density. And the burns often go more than surface deep - I always use a new belt and give it a rest, because you can lose color quick. Also has a distinctive smell when this happens - hard to describe, but kind of resinous/plastic to me. It has tap tone (unless the piece is cracked, which a lot are) but nowhere close to a rosewood. And when you work it, it kind of shatters - if you use a dull blade, it'll splinter out on you. Finally, when you sand it, it'll take a polish. Not to the same degree as diw, but similar in that it really comes clear and pops in the high grits / buffing.

Don't know if those help for your ID, but that's how I think about it.
Thanks for the insights Brian, I cant really detect any smell at all from the wood I have, and it is not chippy either, and never noticed any burning, so looks like it is becoming less likely all the time that it is Pink Ivory...