Plane advice needed

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
I know very little about hand planes. Any advice on what these might be worth. The CL add says “Large hand plane is a number 5, Bailey, from 1902. Bailey is $100 separately. The two smaller hand planes are $40 each if you want to buy separately. Or $150 for all three together.”

0B7BD617-3A8C-434E-ADEF-6AF368DAA001.jpeg

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks Frank, just looking to see if they are worth the time and effort to purchase and clean up. I think I have one little block plane that I have used occasionally but thinking of building a workbench and may purchase a plane(s) to flatten the top and then have for other future projects.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
IMO, the three of those together are worth maybe $50. The #5 is a very common plane, and the one in the pic is in rough shape, missing the front knob, and appears to be rusty and missing a lot of Japanning. The block planes are nothing special either.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks Tim, I appreciate your insight and expertise.

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
The Bailey No.5 is not worth close to $ 100 plus it is missing a knob. It is probably about $ 30 as is- if it is a “Bedrock”, then the price comes up. A rosewood knob replacement will cost about $ 25. That model in good working average condition is worth in the neighborhood of $ 50. Mint or near mint price is a whole different price range. Can’t comment on the block plane price because we don’t know the model and type.

Vintage Stanley planes that are sought after are from type 10-15. The USA stamped ones are more sought after. Tim is correct that the No.5 is common which is the jack plane- 14” long, 2” iron width, weighs about 4 pounds, 12 ounces, . I have one (Bailey; Made in USA) because it is one of the 1st hand plane you needed to have in your bench as it could do a lot of task- well ymmv. These are priced based on condition with the original Japanning intact and that every part is present in excellent condition and no rust as much as possible. Don’t count out those block planes especially the No. 60 and No. 65-1/2 as those are an integral part in your plane arsenal and those models are highly sought after. They can be pricey when it is in near mint to mint condition.

There is the Stanley “Bedrock” which is a “game changer” on their premium line of hand planes. Two feature changed that were significant in adjustment and solidity of the plane when performing its task. It’s too lengthy to cover and should be in a different thread.

If you are trying to build a functional plane collection, you will need 2 of the above (a No 5 or 5-1/2 and a No. 60 and/or 65-1/2), a No.7 (jointer plane or a No.8 which is 2” longer and over 1-1/2 pounds heavier), No. 4 (or 4-1/2) smoothing plane and a rabbet plane. You can pick up a scrub plane to remove rough stock- could be an additional luxury or not. There is one of my favorite and it is a luxury piece which is a No. 51 Shoot Board Plane. The Stanley Vintage version will cost the price of the all the items items listed above (close to $ 1K)! A Lie Nielsen version is a little heavier is about $ 500 and a Veritas version of it is about $ 356.

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I would walk away from those, the guy think he has gold there. The no 5 is rough as the other guys have stated and the block planes are nothing special and not the desireable models either.

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
You guys have given my the answers to my questions and more...which is what I love about this site. So follow up question....if I buy new, what brand or brands should I lean towards....keeping in mind, I can't afford to pay $200 or $300 for a plane. My buying philosophy is typically to not buy the most expensive but not the cheapest either. So what brands tend to provide a good value for the money that would only get occasional use.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
There is nothing wrong with used, you can find good badly planes that can be tuned up for reasonable money. Tuning a plane is very important to learning how they work and maintaining them. Sharpening is an important skill to learn as well. New planes? I haven't a clue, lol. Last new plane I purchased was in the late 70s from sears lol. I still have them and use them.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I also add, even if you buy a new plane unless it's a lie Nielson or Veritas it's still going to need to be tuned up. I have looked at the wood river planes at wood craft. They don't look bad for a mid priced plane, and they will need to be tuned up. Stanley handyman get a bad rap but once tuned up they are decent users as well. But I would still rather find an old Bailey plane, that's what all the others try and copy.
Look on ebay too, sometimes you can find a good buy.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
There is nothing wrong with used, you can find good badly planes that can be tuned up for reasonable money. Tuning a plane is very important to learning how they work and maintaining them. Sharpening is an important skill to learn as well. New planes? I haven't a clue, lol. Last new plane I purchased was in the late 70s from sears lol. I still have them and use them.
^whathesaid! This is a great post Greg and he covered all the bases! Really sage advise and word from the wise. With the blades on planes and chisels- the tool is worthless if you do not know how to properly sharpen it for optimal use. Yes, you do have to invest descent money just for this process or find out a way to do it that is more cost effective. I would like to add is to keep your planes cleaned and maintained- oiled and wax.

There is nothing wrong buying used or vintage. You just have to be savvy and know what to look for. My advise is to buy one and see if it “floats your boat”. The Stanley No. 5 would be my pick. Don’t spend more than $ 50-60. Buying used that folks get on estate sale or barn fine could be a “treasure” or “it could be a dud” if you are looking to go that route to lightly clean and restore to the point where it doesn’t affect the resale value that much- but do you really care about that if it’s main function is to do the job it is suppose to do in a utilitarian and functional aspect? There are sellers who actually will have used and vintage planes that has been “fined tuned” and ready to go. You buy new it could be double, triple, quadruple or exponentially more in what a vintage near mint will cost depending on the brand.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
I also add, even if you buy a new plane unless it's a lie Nielson or Veritas it's still going to need to be tuned up. I have looked at the wood river planes at wood craft. They don't look bad for a mid priced plane, and they will need to be tuned up. Stanley handyman get a bad rap but once tuned up they are decent users as well. But I would still rather find an old Bailey plane, that's what all the others try and copy.
Look on ebay too, sometimes you can find a good buy.
Agree again. The Lie-Nielsen even used will fetch about the same price as new one! You will break even if you purchase one of these. The Veritas not so much, but it is a descent brand and more affordable. Like he said they need to be tuned up and likewise if you go the Japanese hand plane route. The lower tier Stanley like Greg mentioned is fine too, so as Keen Kutter, Sargent, Union to name a few. Don’t let the word “use” or “vintage” scare you because that is where you will find better “value” compare to newer ones.

Hoping our own @Brink will “will also weigh in” as well as other members here.

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
And let's not forget miller's falls, lol. Some of those are decent too and can be had for reasonable cost..

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
And let's not forget miller's falls, lol. Some of those are decent too and can be had for reasonable cost..
How can I forget that brand! Record, Vaughan & Bushnell, Falcon Pope, Early Defiance brand as well as Hercules (Early Sargent). You could go the “decadent” route which is another “rabbit hole” in itself like “infills” planes that mixes rosewood and Iron (Spiers, Mathieson, Holland, Norris, E. Preston & Sons, J. Buck, T. Gardner, etc.) those to me are in a “league of their own”, functional art, but damn they are pricey, but if you were do replicate those vintage ones now, the cost would be astronomical! There are guys doing it or use to do it.

Last edited:

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thank you gentlemen.... I appreciate you words of advice and feedback.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
@woodtickgreg, @Brink, @Schroedc and anyone else that I missed- what hand planes gets the most used of and what hand planes that you have to have that are considered “essentials”? I know this question depends on what trades you are in, but it will help narrow down some for members here say who want to gather a small collection of hand planes to cover the bases. This kind of in “parallel” to chisels as well as do you really need a full set when say you can have say 4 individual chisels and be good to go (example would be 1/8”, 1/4”, 1/2” and a 1” in your arsenal). My bench chisel line up looks like this:

-scrub plane
-Jack plane
-jointer planer
-smoothing plane
-rabbet plane
-shooting board plane

Miscellaneous for guitar carving arched tops: violin mini planes (plus gouge chisels).

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
2 Block planes (standard and low angle), no.4, shoulder plane for tennon clean up. Those are my go to planes. All the rest are just fluf for me.

ClintW

Reaction score
First name
Clinton
If I were you i would check out the local swap meets and flea markets, if they are going on again. I recall my brother and I picked up two nice planes in San Diego at a flea market a few years back when I visited him for $10-25 each. His wife thought it was bit odd to hit up a flea market when I had to fly home, but was well worth the nice miller falls I found there.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I actually sold off a lot of planes due to non use, Here is what I kept and gets regular use:

#4 1/2
#40 1/2 scrub plane
#140 skew blade block plane (they are spendy but I lucked into this one)
Several 9 or 9 1/2 block planes

I also use a Stanley 112 Scraper plane fairly often again a spendy one but I got lucky.

I did keep a few others that get occasional use like my rabbet plane and a couple molding planes but those are something you only need if you actually have a need for. I've gotten to the point of only buying it if I really have a need for it and will use it again.... I'm regretting selling off my #72 chamfer plane.

Alan R McDaniel Jr

Reaction score
First name
Alan
Used? Most of what I have is used, and the rest is used up. I have some planes that were my grandfather's and uncle's and some that were my dad's. I cleaned up a block plane and put some new sharp on it to use on my shooting board the other day. The rest are in the works.

I see them all the time at pawn shops. Most have been there for a while and could likely be had for half the tag price, or less...

I'm sure, that like anything else, there are folks who collect them and that there are some rarities.

Alan