PO Box Door Bank

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I found a decent deal for one of these post officer box door's on eBay. I want to make a bank for my grandson, probably box shaped (that's why I posted this here). Looking for ideas for trim or some way to make it unique. The dimensions for the required opening are on that note in the photo.

po box door.jpg

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
That is so cool! To go with that era, I would probably use quarter sawn oak with heavy ray flake (maybe curly too) and use a deep stain like “Jacobean” or “Early American” or “Provincial” or maybe even “honey”. You can use a contrasting pore filler to make the face grain pop and give you some contrast.

If you want to make it really unique I would use rosewood- if you look at old Stanleys and old Stratton spirit levels, the brass trims usually oxidizes into this antique brass patina and the level body is rosewood. Just a nice combination.

Last edited:

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Hey Doug- why not and go all out and use curly Hawaiian Koa......the blonde violin amber version of it. It would be perfectly in synch with the aged brass! Use dovetail joinery on the corners.

You could also put a leather handle on it like a small box electric guitar amplifier
after you put the wood enclosure on the PO Box door/bank. See photo below minus the speaker front grill face panel and the control panel.

FD5D67C3-3C5E-42DD-88FB-07A927C47B18.jpeg

Last edited:

Bill12035

Reaction score
First name
William
You could make a truck and use that for the back door. Put Brinks or Wells Fargo on the side. Just an idea I've seen before.

Bill

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Doug- why not and go all out and use curly Hawaiian Koa......the blonde violin amber version of it. It would be perfectly in synch with the aged brass!

You could also put a leather handle on it like a small box electric guitar amplifier
after you put the wood enclosure on the PO Box door/bank.
Heh heh, I should have included that I have some walnut and some myrtle and one spalted maple board that has a slight twist to it. I don't have any of that fancy wood you're talking about. Keep the ideas coming though.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
You could make a truck and use that for the back door. Put Brinks or Wells Fargo on the side. Just an idea I've seen before.

Bill
That's one I hadn't thought of. Thanks for bringing it to the table Bill. I'll have to think about that. He likes trucks.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Heh heh, I should have included that I have some walnut and some myrtle and one spalted maple board that has a slight twist to it. I don't have any of that fancy wood you're talking about. Keep the ideas coming though.
I added a photo on post #3 for reference. Those wood will work too.

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I added a photo on post #3 for reference. Those wood will work too.
That tricked an idea... I wonder if I could make a slot for coins and put a small board under it that can slide back and forth. When he slides the board, the coin drops inside. That'd make him move a lever or maybe turn a crank handle. Trying to come up with something more than just a box with a coin slot in it.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
That tricked an idea... I wonder if I could make a slot for coins and put a small board under it that can slide back and forth. When he slides the board, the coin drops inside. That'd make him move a lever or maybe turn a crank handle. Trying to come up with something more than just a box with a coin slot in it.
You bet. Don’t laugh, but they do sell amp casters if your grandson wants to push it around or you can make a separate flat bed that the bank attaches into it and there is a handle so he can pull it around. Hey you said keep the ideas coming!😅........I am just giving you more work now than you anticipated.

Last edited:

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
I’ve always thought it would be cool to make a bank from one of these P.O. Box door blanks! Certainly a lot more ideas than I would have begun to think about! Good luck! Chuck

Jolie0708

Reaction score
First name
Jolie
I found a decent deal for one of these post officer box door's on eBay. I want to make a bank for my grandson, probably box shaped (that's why I posted this here). Looking for ideas for trim or some way to make it unique. The dimensions for the required opening are on that note in the photo.

View attachment 210061
I can send you a picture of mine that my mom had made for me long time ago, the numbers are special on mine, she had whoever made it put my grandparents po box number on it a number they had when she was at home. . From when I was little up until about junior high my grandad always took me to "town" he would tell me, course as a kid I thought I was going somewhere fun... one blinking light, if u blink you'll miss it ...he had one different than the one you got, it has only one lettered dial and I believe that post office still has them. It'll be a treasure for your grandson, I know the one my mom got me Is one of my favorite possessions. It's not real unique though.

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I have one of those as well. Always wanted to make a box with it but never got around to it. Going to follow along.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I can send you a picture of mine that my mom had made for me long time ago, the numbers are special on mine, she had whoever made it put my grandparents po box number on it a number they had when she was at home. . From when I was little up until about junior high my grandad always took me to "town" he would tell me, course as a kid I thought I was going somewhere fun... one blinking light, if u blink you'll miss it ...he had one different than the one you got, it has only one lettered dial and I believe that post office still has them. It'll be a treasure for your grandson, I know the one my mom got me Is one of my favorite possessions. It's not real unique though.
I'd like to see a photo of your's Jolie. They're not uncommon, usually just a rectangular box big enough to mount the door in with a coin slot in the top. I'm hoping to come up with a little more unique design, and a little larger. The number in the door window is just paper, held in place by a metal spring clamp. The combination on these doors is really easy to change to so you can make it something special like a person's initials or something, provided the letters match up to the dials.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Why not just make a 'piggy' bank, with a few laminated layers to give depth and have the door on one side?

View attachment 210355View attachment 210356
That second one is really cute. I have a buffalo bank that my uncle made many years ago when my son was born. It is like the first pig, multiple layers of two-by lumber. It has no opening other than the coin slot so to find out what's in it I'd have to drill a bigger hole.