Polyester finishes

Scott Carter

Reaction score
First name
Scott
I've been using Sherwin Williams Kemvar catalyzed varnish for maybe 5 years now and like many things about a CV finish. I generally work on cabinetry, doors, furniture,etc and like the durability of CV. When I went to replenish my supply, I found out that Sherwin Williams central america, I live in Panama, has discontinued their CV finishes. I was told that the replacement is a catalyzed polyester finish. I have never used a polyester finish but my instinct is screaming plastic looking which I hate.

Anyone ever tried this type of finish? Thoughts or comments?

I've tried talking to some of the woodworkers here locally and the most common finish seems to be sanding sealing...no fine furniture coming outta here I guess.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I think it is a very glossy finish from what I have seen, kinda like an epoxy finish, used a lot on boats, and some musical instruments I understand. Is polyurethane available there? It is a good finish for furniture and cabinets...

Scott Carter

Reaction score
First name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think it is a very glossy finish from what I have seen, kinda like an epoxy finish, used a lot on boats, and some musical instruments I understand. Is polyurethane available there? It is a good finish for furniture and cabinets...
Those were some of my initial thoughts as well except the finish comes in gloss, satin, and flat. I am curious if this gets that thicker, plasticish look like epoxy bar tops even with the less sheen. I suppose I just need to breakdown and buy some and shoot some tests.

As far as polyurethanes, they do have several available and I have used some of them here previously. The single component poly doesn't seem to be as durable as the CV, doesn't look as "rich", and has an 8 or 12 hour recoat time. They also now have a catalyzed poly that I haven't tried yet which I figured was my plan B if I didn't like the polyester. However, the cat poly is significantly more expensive coupled with longer recoat times and shorter pot life once catalyzed increases waste.

Thanks for the thoughts, I appreciate the insight.