*Price Reduction* Red Mulberry pen blanks

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
Well, it’s started. I pulled a board out of my Red Mulberry pile and checked the moisture content throughout and its ambient. I cut it into pen blanks at 6” x 7/8” x 7/8”.
There are 101 blanks and I’d like to get $2.00 each.

EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EDIT EXIT EXIT

How does $1.00 each sound?

Plus Shipping, of course.
Any takers?

IMG_5165.jpeg

IMG_5164.jpeg

Last edited:

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Finished in what way? They’re blanks for somebody to make pens out of. I don’t turn pens, so I don’t have finished pen to show you, sorry
do you want to see some with something like Danish oil on it? I could do that.

also, know that Red Mulberry behaves like bodock in that it cuts and/or sands yellow, then slowly turns a nice Sienna brown over time

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
Danish oil would be good. To me.....it just doesn't appear very interesting in color or grain. I thought maybe some finish would improve it.

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
@scootac This wood may also be a good candidate for dying as well--but i'm not sure what the color transition (browning in time) might do to the finished look. I've not tried mulberry, but it just has the look.

Ken Martin

Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Danish oil would be good. To me.....it just doesn't appear very interesting in color or grain. I thought maybe some finish would improve it.
Ok, here are a couple with Danish Oil and one au natural, all with one aged side. Then one pic with the fresh cut side of one blank contrasting with the aged color of the rest.

IMG_5175.jpeg

IMG_5176.jpeg

IMG_5177.jpeg

IMG_5178.jpeg

IMG_5179.jpeg