Prickly pear skeletons. ♫ εηdεd ♫

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I assume they are just dried "leaves" off a prickly pear? Never seen them like that.

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I assume they are just dried "leaves" off a prickly pear? Never seen them like that.
They are. Same as cholla but from the prickly pear. Want to make some scales.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
There's tons of it at my Dad's place, I'll look around next time I'm there and see what I can find. Tony

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
There's tons of it at my Dad's place, I'll look around next time I'm there and see what I can find. Tony
Thanks! We have prickly pear here too, just not of any size and I've never seen it dried out like that.

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
I have found instructions on how to do it myself but I'd have to wait until next summer.

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
It's not what you want but I have cholla if needed.
How big? I would need pretty large diameter to get the size of knife scales I want.

Still after prickly pear skeletons too if anyone has info.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
I've got some pretty big cholla, I think... if Cody doesn't have anything big, I can post a photo of it(if I can find it).

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I would have to check on size. Just found a big bag of it in my lean 2 I didn't know was there. Lol

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
What size you after so when I get them out I can look.
I want to be able to get at least 3/8"x1-3/4"x5-1/2" scales with the cactus material going through the entire scale thickness and width, so probably 3" diameter? I've never actually seen cholla in person and not in scale form.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I can guarantee I don't have 3in stuff. The last stuff I got the biggest was around 2in. The big stuff is hard to get.

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
I can guarantee I don't have 3in stuff. The last stuff I got the biggest was around 2in. The big stuff is hard to get.
If they have a pretty small hollow center, I should be able make 2" work. No worries if it doesn't work out.

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Hey Norm I've got your PP skeletons! I separated them into groups to do barters with. BUT they are boxed up and stacked in my shop after we just moved. I'll see if I can find them. I got lots of pads and put them in a tall cardboard box and let them decay til mucky. Then pull them out one by one and hosed away all the gunk to leave the skeletons. Dried them in the summer sun. Some of them I soaked in peroxide to whiten them.

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
Hey Norm I've got your PP skeletons! I separated them into groups to do barters with. BUT they are boxed up and stacked in my shop after we just moved. I'll see if I can find them. I got lots of pads and put them in a tall cardboard box and let them decay til mucky. Then pull them out one by one and hosed away all the gunk to leave the skeletons. Dried them in the summer sun. Some of them I soaked in peroxide to whiten them.
Awesome! I'd love some of them when you get a chance. Just let me know what you want or how much.

norman vandyke

Russian olive burl guy
Reaction score
First name
Norm
@Wildthings I'm gonna have to try out that method for getting those skeletons but I doubt I'll find PP here of good size.