Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Probotix Nebula cnc router?

Discussion in 'CNC Routers & Automated Woodworking Machines' started by justallan, Oct 11, 2015.

1. justallan

justallan Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    allan
    Well the mill is about paid off and I think I'm due for a new toy and quite possibly a piece of my retirement income and am looking at cnc routers, plus winter is about here and I want a new challenge.:cool:
    I've been digging around for an affordable unit that has the work area that suits my needs and finally found what I may be looking for. The Probotix Nebula, http://www.probotix.com/ has a work area of 37x50x5" and has a 4th axis for turning "stuff". It uses Vectric software which is suppose to be pretty user friendly and being that I haven't used any kind of 2D or 3D anything in 12 years, I'm all about user friendly.
    This cnc comes ready to use right out of the box for about $5g for everything I need to get started or just over $7g for everything that I want, but I can add the 4th axis and the expensive software later.
    Any word on Probotix and their cnc's would be greatly appreciated.

2. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    If you can wait a little, good used cnc's come on the market constantly. I paid around $7500 for mine too by the time all was said and done, and still haven't bought the 4th axis for it. I probably will though. I need to get a different software though because the MachIII I have is outdated I am told.

Don't know anything about the machine you linked.

3. justallan

First name:
    allan
    I'm going to try to find someone within a couple hundred miles that's willing to demo theirs for me and spend a little more time doing research before I buy anything.

4. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    Just to clarify I bought mine new. That $7500 could've gone a lot lot further had I just waited.

• Like Like x 1
  5. justallan

First name:
    allan
    Well I couldn't stop myself (though I tried, really):sarcastic:
    After bunches of researching and talking with several customers and I person on another site that has definitely earned much respect as a pretty darned smart guy, I went ahead and ordered the CNC router. It is by far the best deal on one that big and comes with all of the top notch "stuff" in the making of it. It's 100% aluminum and steel that can be changed to fit your requirements of what you want to do.
    YUP, I'm pretty jazzed about now.

As for a software package I downloaded Vectric Vcarve Pro trial and already have it figure out as far as making most things in 2D, and with it being 12 years since the last time I used any CAM programs I'm rather impressed with it. I'm not sure if they changed what things are called or I'm just getting "dumberer:wacko:", but that's been by biggest hang up, so far.
    Winter is coming, so if this thing keeps me kind of sane it's worth the price.:cool:

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    Gotta love new tools! Congrats Allan. I don't know squat about cnc stuff, other than its pretty cool.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Alan,
    You have just fallen into another vortex. I have an Axiom Pro 6 and I can't find any time to do my lathe work. A lot of info on the web. Vectric has a good user forum, if I can help you out just let me know.
    Curt

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. justallan

First name:
    allan
    Thanks Curt, I may very well be giving you a holler.
    I think I might start knocking out single numbers and letters along with signs to get the thing making some money and learn the 3D stuff while the CNC is busy.
    Around here wooden house numbers are better than $5 a piece, unfinished.

• Like Like x 1
  9. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    It is good to have a product to make money with the cnc. There are some good 3d designs on vectric art 3d web site for a small fee. Some 3d wildlife scenes I think you will like.
    Curt

10. justallan

First name:
    allan
    Thanks Curt, I'll definitely look into it.

11. justallan

First name:
    allan
    Woo-Hoo! It got here yesterday. This thing is a monster. I had to take the spoil board off of it to be able to lift it and carry it in the house. I will say this, if the crate that it came in is any indication of how the actual machine is built and works, I should certainly be one happy camper.
    I need to get a table finished and get it set up tonight.
    YUP, I'm pretty darned jazzed right now.

IMG_20151029_154346875.jpg

IMG_20151029_163430983.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 5
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2015
  12. ironman123

ironman123 Member Full Member

First name:
    Ray
    Oh boy, oh boy. Get that table finished and get it humming.

13. justallan

First name:
    allan
    Getting closer.

IMG_20151031_044809252.jpg

IMG_20151031_051304136.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. justallan

First name:
    allan
    It's set up and all ready to baffle me.

IMG_20151031_072912451.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. ironman123

ironman123 Member Full Member

First name:
    Ray
    Those green steppers are so cute (blah). Is the table top MDF or MFD whichever one? Looks like you are ready to go.

16. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Total loser Full Member

First name:
    O
    Eager to hear how it performs. We have a kit-built CNC router from CNCROUTERPARTS.com. Still optimizing performane but so far so good.

Good choice on the Bosch router.

17. justallan

First name:
    allan
    Ray, the stepper motors are 420's, which seem to be about middle to high end on these from what I have seen researching. Both my table and the machine table are MDF. You can have a table top with a grid carved in and lock down nuts, but I opted out, figuring to make my own and they sent me this one anyhow. I went ahead and used the piece that I had bought to build my table with. It was a waste of 50 bucks, but you evidently can't buy plywood at 10 PM in a small town.
    @Jim Beam, I'm planning on having something made this weekend.
    I finished getting everything put together and it wouldn't work. It comes with a remote game controller so you can be right by the machine for zeroing it, turns out you have to have everything that it comes with hooked up. OOPS!
    I just ran one of the programs that is free with the machine, but without a bit in the router, and everything now works just fine. I'm a pretty happy camper.:yipee:

18. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    Woohoo indeed!

Does a single motor handle both the X & Z axes? Mine has a motor for both the Z & X, but my Y axis is handled by a single motor whereas your Y axis has two. Interesting setup.

19. justallan

First name:
    allan
    It has 2 motors for the Y and one for each of X & Z.
    I have everything up and running and need to run to town and get some double sided tape for mounting work to the table. Seems kind of weird to use tape instead of clamps, but they have several videos showing that it works fine. We shall see.

20. Kevin

First name:
    Kevin
    I can't imagine double-sided tape working for the machining I do. I gotta see that.

Current Time: 6:01 PM