Punky box elder bowl 🥣

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
A tad dark yellow, but I think in the end it will be super nice! Important thing is you are experimenting! Chuck

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
A tad dark yellow, but I think in the end it will be super nice! Important thing is you are experimenting! Chuck
Yup the whole dye and adding color thing is new to me, im learning as I go here. Im still all about natural wood and don't want to cover it up but maybe just enhance it with some color sometimes for more visual interest. Dyes on lighter woods and maybe some resins on darker woods. So this is my first go with dyes.

chippin-in

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Robert
I am also experimenting with coloring wood. I have found myself having to go back down past the color and start over...3 times on 1 piece. Yours is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Robert

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I am also experimenting with coloring wood. I have found myself having to go back down past the color and start over...3 times on 1 piece. Yours is looking good. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Robert
One thing I learned is to remember that when finish is applied over the dye after sanding it back it will darken up again. So its a fine line with the sanding, not enough and the color may be too much, to much sanding and the color my dissappear or be blotchy. I think maybe I should have diluted the dye with water instead of using it full strength. But this is my first so I'm learning.

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Well I got sidetracked once again by life, lol but I found some to play with this some more today. Since I did not use anything to firm up the inside of the bowl I had lots of tearout, I spent a good amount of time with the 80 grit chisel to remove it. Then I sanded through the grits to 320.
I then applied some ruby red color dye to the rim.
20201212_181142.jpg
I built up a varnish sanding sealer, and rubbed it out with an abrasive paste and followed that up with wax.
20201212_184755.jpg
It's a pretty large bowl still and I'm guessing it will be a little bottom heavy.
20201212_184834.jpg
Not done yet as I have to mount the cole jaws and flip it to finish the bottom, but I want the rim to cure a little first.
I now call this piece " lipstick 💋 on a pig"
20201212_185102.jpg

Last edited:

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
From the pictures, the red is a good match.
Thanks brother, just experimenting still and playing with some color. Trying to enhance the wood without covering it up to much so the grain still shows through.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Love that rim color, really brought that rim grain to life! Sharp looking bowl with lots of interesting things to look at.

I'm another one who wants to start playing with added color, enjoy seeing your experiments. I've got a whole stack of featureless cottonwood bowls I hope to start playing with after Christmas. Thanks for showing the products, I've now got someplace to start.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I finished up the bottom today.
This is my typical set up for turning out the mortice. The live center is just a flat face.
20201213_160355.jpg
Just a side view with the cole jaw set up.
20201213_160412.jpg
I was going to leave it plain but decided rings of the 3 colors used in the bowl might be kinda cool. Not sure if I like it. Its all just an experiment.
20201213_165102.jpg
Bottom is now done, finished with sanding sealer and wax to match the rest of the bowl.
20201213_165110.jpg
I'll post some pics in the finished project section.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Think there are too many rings on the bottom. It is distracting from the otherwise spectacular bowl. Chuck

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
You had me until the burnt orange. Otherwise an outstanding bowl. There will be people that will understand about the burnt orange! LOL