Purdy shotgun stock needed.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Now to tell ya the back story - Lil Mikey - well.....he looks and smells like a sow's ear - so he likes to champion making silk purses outta sows ears (he's tried to get someone to remake him into sumthin purdy - but everybody says "impossible" or sumthin like that). It would hurt his feelings iff'n it wasn't true.

On a recent antique buying outing a hog butt ugly shotgun was bought for $50.00. Do not remember make, but it is single shot break action. Now Lil Mikey found he has a little empathy because it seemed so lonely and abandoned and overlooked by people looking for purdy! He thought he could make sumthin purdy outta it - yeh know - put a new dress on it, some lipstick and a new hairdo. With just a little TLC she might be purdy - at least to Lil Mikey.

So he is on the lookout for a new dress for her - sumthin real purdy - sumthin that would make Cousin Eddie to exclaim "Real Nice Clark.....errr....Lil Mikey!" He thinks she would look real nice in a little black dress, but better in some sort of dark frilly, feathery, curly wood. He likes Claro, but would entertain other choices. Need two pieces - fore arm blank needs to be at least 8" long, 1 1/2" wide and 1 1/2" tall. The butt piece, minimum 12 1/2" long, 1 3/4" wide, and 6" tall (maybe bigger - haven't decided yet) There will be some steel engraving involved and possibly some deep steel carving and inlay.

Last edited:

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I am at work currently so no pictures. Have a few pieces of fresh( 30 days) black walnut rootstock at around the 2 inch mark. If you need dry, I am out on walnut but should have those sizes in american chestnut with a strong possibility of a crotch feather in the mix. However, that is on the other end of the color chart...

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
Someone needs to fulfill this guy’s fantasy- I mean he is looking for a “haute couture” wood to dress up his new stray fling. Did your sudden urge arise from watching “Pretty Woman” last night? You have to go to an exotic land like Turkey to get some “Turkish Walnut” or stay state side and find some west coast Bastogne, Claro or something grafted, marbled grain, flamed, crotched, burl or go east and get some really fancy black walnut with fan feather crotch! @rob3232 help ‘lil Mikey’ out and share some of that super fancy fan feather crotch you have stashed!

Now, ‘lil Mikey’ don’t forget my finders fee- I take plastic, crypto, gold nuggets, stock certificates, so on and so forth……….heck, I’ll even take some good olde Tennessee bbq!

Last edited:

Jonkou

Reaction score
First name
John
Goin for that exotic sultry look in black lace... I’m your huckleberry. She’s aged well, a little heavy at 43 lbs but who doesn’t like a fat bottom. I’m sure you can think up something else for the rest. PM to hear more.

50472751-D9D5-4F9B-B11A-855310383EBA.jpeg 4DD3565B-B4AB-4139-9F3F-13CF14C2A84A.jpeg 238483D9-915D-40F0-911B-0F25FC44D638.jpeg 799BFC07-CAC2-4EE4-BD04-74835B5B1D9D.jpeg 5EBBD238-74EA-4720-83AE-C75A1A91D5FB.jpeg AE654986-7190-4D1D-8AA3-E40125DDAA14.jpeg

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Well show us what she looks like ugly so we'll be amazed when you finish with her.

rob3232

Reaction score
First name
Rob
Mike, Here are three pieces that may work for you. May need to dry down some before they’re ready to go.

1C7A1440-A0A4-4666-AC04-9A4C4E3C28D2.jpeg

873C1B79-D799-4EDD-9224-DB17B023B9E0.jpeg

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
^You just covered all the bases Rob! Thank you for posting these. Maybe ‘lil Mikey’ will take only 1 and leave 2 behind for us……or maybe he will do a sweep and take all 3!

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Would love to see the quilted maple on it!!! Hint hint!
I would too, but I want to see the “in between” the curly (flame) and the quilt- which is a made up guitar pattern hybrid called “quittle”. That is a hybrid combo of flame and quilt coexisting together. Yeah, you are probably wondering what it looks like? Very, very hard to find, but I have seen on Western big leaf.

Last edited:

Wildthings

ASTROS '23 ALCS CHAMPIONS runnerup
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes Yes we need a before picture

Well show us what she looks like ugly so we'll be amazed when you finish with her.

Yep. John has a piece of walnut, rob has several pieces of walnut, we have seen em. Mike's shotgun...... we ain't seen. It must not have happened

Ok, Ok, I get the message. Still buried in the back of my Jeep. Will have to go some place with fewer prying eyes!

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Ok, under duress and quaking under threats - let it be said Lil Mikey does not shirk his duties and will not violate the photo rule!

Here she is. You notice she has a little skin rash, has a scar or two, her makeup is kinda smudged, she has been trussed up at one time, her sandals have seen better days and you might notice she is missing an earring, but she's mine!

W H Davenport Firearms - not valued much more than I gave for her in good shape, but she is priceless to me and will get petted!

1623964334180.png 1623964475885.png 1623964535869.png

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Cool looking old gun! I've got an Eastern Arms gun that is probably the same vintage, definitely a close cousin based on looks/ style. Belonged to a great uncle (who was also my godfather) probably when he was a kid. At least I'm guessing so based on his name carved into the stock.

Arn213

Reaction score
First name
Arn
Let’s make this really fun and interesting for Mike Hill since we now have the “proof of life”. Mike Hill, I think you should put a “poll up” and let members cast a vote on what wood species will be fitting for “Vivian”………I mean your new summer fling (lol). Photo’s of candidate dresses …..I mean the proposed wood species should be posted for review and numbered accordingly.

What do you say Edward? I mean Mike Hill. Majority rules, but you get final say……….can you hear that “Pretty Woman” guitar hook played and being sang by the late Roy Orbison* in the background? Merci……….Grrr

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I'm totally game with this! BUT, the name has to change when she gets remade. Vivian won't hack it. The name has to exhibit sultry je ne sais quoi! It has to exude ......... well it would have to exude! It will be engraved somewhere on the gun.

I'm gonna have to look in my HS annual, there was one girl, I really, I mean really had a crush on! But then again something like Lorelei it is a girl's name of German origin meaning "alluring, temptress". Or maybe a wood nymph name! Might have to ban Islander names!

Gosh! I'm starting to feel like Professor Henry Higgins

Last edited: