Question about coal...

Discussion in 'NON Wood-Related Services WANTED' started by ripjack13, May 7, 2017.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    Here's one piece of coal I found in my yard...

9512.jpeg

9514.jpeg

9510.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  2. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    I talked to my buddy in Harlan Kentucky, he's sending up a sfrb full! Woooo

• Like Like x 1
  3. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Never would of thought I'd hear that town name beside watching the show justified.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Well, the one with the air bubble problems doesn't say whether he's mixing it with his resin, or pouring it. Trying to pour it, yes... He IS going to have problems pouring it, if it's crushed at all fine. That one I will guarantee!

Mixing it with the resin should eliminate that however. I really don't see the coal gassing off in anyway mixed with the resin, it should be inert. If ground to a dust, it shouldn't contain any trapped air either, unless... You pour the resin over it, wherein it is subject to spread over the top of the dust, trapping the air beneath. Mixing it with the resin and pouring it mixed, or spooning it into the mold and packing it, would eliminate that.

----

The one that suggested increasing catalyst to eliminate bubbling I don't know about either. Sounds backwards to me unless it is actually gassing off in contact with the resin. Reducing catalyst allows more time for bubbles to escape the cast, vibration helps there as well, pressure helps, but I've found if you maintain too much pressure you actually run into a situation where you force air out of the wood, stabilized or not, and it can get trapped. Have been backing off on pressure to find the sweet spot, if one exists. I believe I'm going to find running it up to 90 PSI and letting my slooooow leaking lid have it's way is the answer as it pushes what resin it will into the wood forcing air out right away and slowly eases off, therein reducing bubbles emitted. If it is gassing off however, delayed set allows more time for reaction to occur, and quicker set could be beneficial.

----

Chunk of coal out of your backyard is of the anthracite variety. Lignite is more of a dull black; dustier/dirtier looking.

----

Country song about Harlan... "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive" Several artist have recorded it, personally I prefer Patty Loveless' rendition best...

• Like Like x 2
  5. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    I could be wrong, but I honestly think it's going to be a simple grind it up, mix it, and pour it deal Marc. I honestly think the others are putting it in the mold and pouring over it, therein creating their problems.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Total loser Full Member

First name:
    O
    Wood getting too expensive for you? :cowboy:

• Funny Funny x 5
  7. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Nah...but thats funny!

I want to make a pen with it for a fellow mod on mossbergowners. His family works the mines and I wanted to make something special for em. He's sent some very cool things to me and I want to return the favor.

• +Karma +Karma x 1
  8. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Les, do you remember where you saw it? I'd like to take a look at it...

9. norman vandyke

norman vandyke Russian olive burl guy Full Member

First name:
    Norm
    I think the coal that comes out of the Colstrip mine is much harder than the anthracite coal from back East. I imagine it would be a lot more difficult to carve up being so hard and brittle.

10. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    The coal is on its way. I think stabilizing might be out, so just casting it now. The stuff i have is real brittle, so im going to crush that up for a cast. Then when the other stuff gets here ill let ya know more.
    Instead of the bolt action pen, I'm doin a rollerball now. Even better. I was thinking of using the American Patriot rollerball in antique pewter. That should look real good!

• Like Like x 3
  11. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Got the box of coal and some coke. I think the coke might stabilize good. So I can send that to Matt....
    The coal, I'll crush up and send to rocky....

• Like Like x 1
  12. norman vandyke

First name:
    Norm
    Reading this thread awhile ago peaked my interest and since started making charcoal at home, why not see if it will stabilize. Looked through my bucket and found a small chunk to test. It does soak up resin but not much. Not sure it would be good for turning but it might if very sharp tools were used. This is charcoal from ash wood. Gonna try to find a bigger chunk for further testing. 20170526_183608.jpg 20170526_183608.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 3
    • Creative Creative x 2
  13. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    Norm, might be easier to just use thermally modified woods...either way, I'm looking forward to your findings...

14. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Very cool. I like the black color and the grain peeking through...

15. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Had forgot all about this until the other day, and for some reason it dawned on me that I was sposed to be casting this nasty black stuff. Only took 4 - 5 minutes of scratching my head and searching to find the box where I had put it away so it wouldn't get lost. Today we had a storm blow through and the shop wasn't too hot, had neighbor come over wanting some welding done on a smoker he had built. Knocked that out and attacked this coal project.

Previous discussion of Mortise and Pestal was quickly alleviated with a little digging. Found a 2" cap and short nipple, wasn't quite as long as I wanted, but proved to be more than sufficient. Coal is kind of a pain in the ass to turn to dust, so you can't dump a lot of it in there at one time. The other end of that equation was a piece of broken axle out of my disk about a foot long. Rounded end cap was sweet, ground the other 1" square end off pretty much flat. Coal when beat into the bottom of the pipe cap, tends to pack fairly tight, and stick, so a long sharp object was also needed to remove it at times, and there was one of them laying there on the welding bench as well, that came in right handy.

KIMG0296.JPG

Coal arrived in ziplock bag in assorted smaller chunks.

KIMG0295.JPG

And, it got dropped into the above pictured pipe apparatus, and pounded upon vigorously with one or the other end of the disk axle until it stopped crunching. Then the long sharp object would be required to break it all loose, and get it to dump out. That however resulted in an assortment of various sized pieces, many of which weren't really suitable for casting. So I had to devise something to grade it to size. Searched high and low, and could not find any hardware cloth, couldn't find any screen although I was certain it would be too small. Thought about chopping up a minnow trap, but the mesh on it was too big. Was looking on the bench for something and ran across a plastic mixing cup, and the little light bulb lit up. Grabbed a 5/32" bit and made a little sieve to sort coal dust from chunks.

KIMG0297.JPG

Yeah, 5/32" sounds a little big, but having drilled holes in plastic before I knew they weren't likely to drill perfectly clean and were going to grade stuff a hair finer than 5/32". And, it didn't let me down... Most of the stuff that fell through, was down to about 1/8" honestly. But this allowed me to sift off the finer stuff, dump the bigger chunks back in the pipe apparatus and pound on it more with the disk axle! (If anyone ever tells you I might be redneck, they might be right!)

End result...

KIMG0298.JPG

May run to town in the morning and see if I can pick up some screen of some nature, maybe a tea strainer, to sift this through. About half the dish is dust. Minute particles!! Should work excellent! Not real sure what these little chunks on top will do when cast however. If I mix it thin and pour the blanks, I suspect these chunks will either be heavier and sink to the bottom, or more likely contain some air and float to the top.

On the other hand, if I mix it thick and pack the mix in the mold, I'm afraid they may pop out, or more likely shatter while you're turning it Marc, and create obnoxious voids to fill.

Otherwise, I need some 10 mm plugs to stuff in the ends of the tubes, thinking foam ear plugs maybe to expedite things, and we're about ready to make coal blanks.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  16. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Awesome! That looks cool....I cant wait to try em out!

17. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    How's the progress on that Norm?

18. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    What was I supposed to do with the chunk of coke you sent Marc?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coke_(fuel)

19. ripjack13

First name:
    Marc
    Keep it? Pm reply comin in hot...

20. norman vandyke

First name:
    Norm
    Totally forgot about this after I didn't find a larger piece to test. Gonna need to get back at it, I suppose. Problem is, I haven't made any new charcoal. I'm thinking I'll try out some oak this time.

Current Time: 8:24 PM