Question about coal...

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Have no reason why it did that... click the button once and it went right through, 3 times for some odd reason. Rip!!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Marc, I'm planning to work on stabilizing the pieces you sent me sometime in August.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
We'll do both Marc, not a problem. Needed goodies from Penn State anyhow, so I ordered more 10.5 mm tube, be here in a few days. Putting it on hold until I get that in, and get more tubes cut for the project. Have to see how much coal we have, and measure the combined length on those you sent out, I may pour the others in once piece blanks and let you cut to whatever you length you want, just in case you want to do something other than the American Patriot with the other blanks. If I shoot for a 7/8" x 7/8" blank, there may be enough ground up to pour a full 10" blank which would give you 2 or more pens, and maybe a key chain blank leftover.

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Well it's been nice enough to work in the shop last couple days, so I've been busy. poured @ripjack13 's coal fired pen blanks! First two out of the mold, these were with the fine coal dust. Stuff works like a dream if anyone else was contemplating it. Grind your coal up fine, pour your resin in the mixing cup. I was at 125 ml for 2 blanks, added equal amount of coal dust, mixed gently to a slurry. Allowed it to stand a few minutes to degas. Soon as the bubbles quit rising, added my catalyst per 125 ml of resin, and gently mixed. Did not pressurize these, really didn't see any need. Contemplated vibration, but decided against that since it might cause the coal to actually settle out of the resin. Simply sat them on the bench and let them cure.

KIMG0312.JPG

Tube is a little off center... had intended not pouring the mold quite so full, but I got it where it needed to be, had a little resin left, and wasn't sure how much it might shrink, so I filled the mold. And, it didn't shrink! Oh well!!

KIMG0313.JPG

Tubes on these are I believe 10.5 mm. Ordered a half dozen of the 10" tubes, was going to pour full length, but when I got ready to pour them, I looked at my 6" molds and elected to simply make new end pieces for those, rather than build new molds!" So they are cast 6" in length. Marc had sent tubes for an American Patriot Rollerball, combined length of the 2 pieces leaves a piece about 2 1/2" on these blanks, which is just long enough for a 10.5 mm single tube pen. Measured the tube on a Gatsby and they're just under 2 1/4", so all is good!

Tossed the bigger little chunks of coal in the molds today, same method, have two of those blanks on the way. Should be a different chunky look about those, resin remained mostly transparent on the stir stick throughout, so chunks should be evident in those hopefully. Then we should have enough dust left for two more of these from the looks of things.

Don't hesitate to try this one guys, it's so easy it was fun! Coal dust is a little messy to deal with, but otherwise it works really sweet!

Last edited by a moderator:

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Omg.... I cant wait to try these out!!! WOOOOOO

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
The end of that blank isn't as loose as it may appear, there was just a thin film lifted on it when I demolded it. They're both nice and solid! I think they're going to be really sweet.. Can't wait to see the others, tried not to stir them too much, because I didn't want to break the coal down and cloud the resin up. Stir stick was showing just a hint of gray color when I last pulled it out of the molds, but for the most part, resin is still clear on those. Could be interesting!

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
@ripjack13 - pulled the two chunky blanks out the mold tonight. They look just like the others, rectangular and black, with a hole in the middle. However... the resin that seeped into the seems was transparent with little chunks of coal in it. Held the blanks up to the light, and there is a little transparency along the edges, but it appears the coal remained suspended in the resin like I had hoped, and all is good!

What they'll look like when you turn them to pen dimensions is still up in the air, but it could be interesting!

rocky1

Reaction score
First name
Rocky
No, I didn't Lou. The powdered stuff won't be a problem, they'll be solid black, not concerned there at all. The resin on that stuff turned black with the finer dust.

The chunky blanks, we left the tube natural with hopes of a few odd spots of gold color popping through for contrast. Pretty sure there is enough chunks in it that it's going to be covered almost solid however. One article we found on it, suggested pouring the blank in that fashion, so we're experimenting with those two. Should have 6 blanks to play with total, which would give Marc enough for 12 pens if he wants to turn that many of them, if one or two don't work, we aren't out a lot. And, I have an excuse to pour more of them!

Stuff really is fun to pour, no fuss, mix it up, pour it, and walk off and leave it on the counter. These two came out black and shiny, and appear flawless, just like the others.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Copied some posts and moved this topic to this area....

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Got the blanks today rocky! Thanks! They look great, I'll be able to turn em up next week. I got the grand kid this week so no shop time.

Thanks so much for helping me out....

Now just waiting on mr @Sprung .
:popcorn:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
My to do list, err, honey-do list, is waaay backed up right now, but I will get it done. If it doesn't happen in the next week, it'll happen in September - a week from now and I'll be out of the shop for 3 weeks.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I still have Marc's pieces yet to stabilize... :sorry:

Marc, I'm really hoping to get the pump and chambers going hard over the next few weeks or so...