Question about planers

Bearded_woodpecker_design

Reaction score
First name
Cory
Hey guys I have a quick question about planers. I picked up a kinda new still in the crate after 20 years SunHill Geetech CT-38B 15" Planer from a guy today. I got a great price on it I think, 450 and still in the original crate it was sent from the factory. My question it firstly are these planers any good? Does anyone have any experience with them? The gentleman whom I purchased it from told me that they were basically made identical mostly to grizzly and jet of the same time period, is that true? I can't even find a pic of one of these online. Any advice you guys might have would be helpful.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Hes probably right, most of those planers come out of China. If its cast iron you got a good deal on it and it'll probably work just fine, better than a lunchbox planer. Show us a pick when you get it set up. Price a new 15" basic grizzly and you'll see that you got a good deal on that one.

Bearded_woodpecker_design

Reaction score
First name
Cory
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here are the pics if this helps, I'll definitely take some pics when it's together, unfortunately I don't have 220 ran to my garage yet so it will probably stay in the crate till I can get that done

Screenshot_20200509-215653_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200509-215619_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20200509-215632_Gallery.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I think you pretty much stole that ma hine for $450. I would have bought that in a heartbeat for that kind of money. It will far out perform any lunchbox or bench top machine.
Congrats!

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
Looks like my Wilke Machinery 15" planer. Years ago when I bought mine Wood magazine (I think) had a review of planers. Your's was on the list and all where rated approximately the same. You got a good deal. And running 220V is not hard to do.