Question for Admins: how to ask about interest

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
I recall WB policy asks us not to post "interest" posts for wood. If I am wanting to know if anyone wants wood from a log of a particular size before I cut into a log, how would I go about posting this for members? I'm not trying to sell the whole log. In particular, I have a log of pheasant wood and a cinnamon crotch that I would like to see if people want to buy milled blanks from, but don't want to cut it up without knowing if anyone wants it or what size they'd want. Did I misread something or is gauging interest discouraged? Thanks

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Byron, the rule is quite clear:
"Is Anyone Interested In...." type of threads to "gauge interest" are not permitted anywhere on the forum. It is either posted as for sale or trade - or not at all. WB does not allow "preselling".

I wish there was a way to do as you wish, but the problem is that allowing YOU to do it would create a situation where if people see you do it, then everyone gets to do it, and we're then off to the races in breaking the rule.

Sorry, and thanks for asking before creating a post we'd likely have to delete.

Maybe you could cut off a piece or two, post them for sale and in THAT thread mention that you have more. I think that might pass muster (OR ... the other mods might yell at me for suggesting it :smile:).

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Byron raises a good question and one that all wood sellers have - when to start cutting up a gorgeous board and when to hold off in order to look for the optimum buyer who posts a "Want to buy" wish. Once you make a small board from a big board, you can't undo it. Tough decision and irreversible. But, as the rule intends, the bartering must begin with an offer to sell a particular piece and that opens the door for others to express an interest in buying more of it maybe in a different size.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Byron, what Paul suggests is exactly what I think is the best route to go. The point of that rule is to keep people from pre-selling wood they don't have. You clearly own the log. Post a pic of the log and a couple of blanks and let 'er rip!

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Byron, what Paul suggests is exactly what I think is the best route to go. The point of that rule is to keep people from pre-selling wood they don't have. You clearly own the log. Post a pic of the log and a couple of blanks and let 'er rip!
Will do. I was planning on milling a whole bunch of smaller log cuts next week, just didn't want to waste time cutting stuff into sizes people don't use. Hard to tell what people want sometimes and it seems like the majority of WB users are primarily focusing one kind of wooden craft or the other. Makes it hard to know if you ought to be cutting blanks or boards.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
... The point of that rule is to keep people from pre-selling wood they don't have.
Actually, that's NOT the sole purpose of the rule (although I think it IS the primary purpose). It is also to prohibit posting a pic of anything at all (plank, log, set of planks, etc) with no set price and asking if anyone is interested in any of it. I remember Kevin being specific about that.

The most WB-legal way around it is to do what I suggested. Post pics of a specific piece or two WITH a price (and in the "for sale") forum, and note that if this piece sells, you'll cut some more. Folks can then ask for specific sizes and you can start new threads w/ new pieces.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Why not offer up the entire log (or the biggest you're willing to mail) for a price and see if anyone bites? If not, you know the interest isn't in the big log. Quite often people will respond they can't use or can't afford the whole thing but would be interested in smaller pieces.

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Why not offer up the entire log (or the biggest you're willing to mail) for a price and see if anyone bites? If not, you know the interest isn't in the big log. Quite often people will respond they can't use or can't afford the whole thing but would be interested in smaller pieces.
I would, but shipping from Taiwan makes that pretty impossible. Also, both these woods don't look like much till they are cut and then BAM! I'm thinking I'll just cut some big blocks and offer to split it up for multiple people wanting it.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Actually, that's NOT the sole purpose of the rule (although I think it IS the primary purpose). It is also to prohibit posting a pic of anything at all (plank, log, set of planks, etc) with no set price and asking if anyone is interested in any of it. I remember Kevin being specific about that.

The most WB-legal way around it is to do what I suggested. Post pics of a specific piece or two WITH a price (and in the "for sale") forum, and note that if this piece sells, you'll cut some more. Folks can then ask for specific sizes and you can start new threads w/ new pieces.
I disagree. Rule was for one specific person who was getting pics of wood and trying to presell before he even purchased. And morphed into what is is now.
I could say more but instead will avoid this thread.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I disagree. Rule was for one specific person who was getting pics of wood and trying to presell before he even purchased. And morphed into what is is now.
I could say more but instead will avoid this thread.
I could also speak to this thread and will refrain...

Kevin and I have talked about this in depth before. I still have the messages, and they are vastly different from how some things are now and/or the perception of them.

Life goes on, things change. Not my call.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Well....looks like I'm late to the festivities.
All set?