Question Of The Week... ( 2016 Week 35 )

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
When you watch TV or a movie, do you analyze the woodwork you see?
And you have ever caught woodworking wrong doings in a movie/TV show?

:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement.
Primates, woodticks and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
And of course the :old: and Jake from State Farm too...

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
No, but I am thoroughly amazed at the number of beautiful women that are supposedly fore(wo)men on construction crews on DIY programming. Oddly enough it seems they all struggle with the simplest of construction tasks too, like shooting 2 nails from the gun for the camera, every time.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I do, I look at wood types and designs on shows and movies. Can't recall any mistakes I've seen..... Tony

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Nope, don't watch much tv anymore, If I do it's usually just a movie. I used to watch the wood working shows on tv like, norms show, wood works with David Marks, the new show on pbs with Tommy Mack, Scott Phillips show, and various other shows. But most have been discontinued, a few of the wood working shows are still on. The diy channels just aren't what they used to be either, eventually they all turn in to just reality drama bull shite shows. Norm did more for the wood working community than any other person has in my opinion. He brought new people into the fold and sparked interest for many reasons, for young and old.
But I always notice wood works on tv, in movies, and everywhere, it's just in me.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I watch almost no tv. I more notice the furniture in old movies.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Read this morning that next to sleeping, watching tv is the number one activity at 5 hrs a day. Add phone and puter time to that and it is over 8 hrs a day. No wonder they are having to widen the doors and beefing up the gurneys at the hospitals. Probably would be better off looking for ideas at the museum or antique store. At least we would be walking....

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Read this morning that next to sleeping, watching tv is the number one activity at 5 hrs a day. Add phone and puter time to that and it is over 8 hrs a day. No wonder they are having to widen the doors and beefing up the gurneys at the hospitals. Probably would be better off looking for ideas at the museum or antique store. At least we would be walking....

One of the reasons I got rid of cable, made sure my kids had good bikes and take family trips to state parks and such.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
I too watch the DIY shows for entertainment, only see a few ladies that can work/use woodworking tools well (had to specify, some the minds around here....:lol2:) & once in a while pick up something I can use. Seems the ladies are the visionaries on the shows an the guys say yeah, ok and get'er done.
Only catch a couple of shows on PBS- decent "how to's".
Don't see much on movies as far as lathes/saws-- guess they're boring for general audience-- unless it's some slasher flick :sick:.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wood works with David Marks

I can't believe I missed that one. I loved that show. That was the one show I looked forward to seeing. I even ordered the diy channel specifically so I could watch it. Then it went off the air. I was bummed. I get his monthly email now and look in that way. His patina jobs are amazing.....

CoffeeWoodz

Mama said..."Life is like a box of....Sawdust"
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Actually...I've always wanted the center tent-pole that held up the "swamp" on M.A.S.H.......seriously!