Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Question Of The Week... ( 2018 week 10)

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, Mar 4, 2018.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    What is your drive and determination for you to create something?

**Rules**
    There is no minimum post requirement,
    primates, woodticks and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
    And of course the :old: and the n00bs as well.

2. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Sometimes I want something, don't have it and won't buy cheap crap, other times it's trying to see if I can do something new, Ocassionally it's just to stay busy and keep up my skill set, and obviously on occasion, it's for the paycheck.

• Like Like x 5
  3. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    For me it is just something that is in me, I have to do it, I have to work with my hands. I can only go so long and then I have to do something, it's like therapy for me, it's how my mind works. Wood working is just one of the many outlets for that need to create. I found out in my older years that it is also a characteristic of the A.D.D. mind, people that have it usually have the need to create and are creative people. I would bet that many of the people here have it and may not even know it. For me it is not a curse it is a blessing, my mind just works differently that others. So now that I am older its very nice to have a shop in my basement that allows me to fulfill that need to create if I suddenly get that urge, it gives me the refuge that I need, when I am in my shop its one of those rare moments that allows me to tune the rest of the world out and hyper focus on the task at hand. Sometimes it is for necessity and some times just for fun, but I always enjoy it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Post Great Post x 2
  4. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    My wife!:old:

• Funny Funny x 6
  5. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    To bring out my creative side and create something that is unique.

• Like Like x 3
  6. steve bellinger

steve bellinger Member Full Member

First name:
    Steve
    Most times for me, it's just cause I'm board and I just want to do something. Now that's when it's not a paying job. As I always wanted to be a artist,my hobby stuff is just a way to release that inter desire that I have always had, and still do I guess. Also even the stuff I build for a client has to have at least a subtle touch of art in it.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I'm with Greg on this one, it's something I have to do. I tell my wife I'm lucky that people will sometimes buy my stuff because otherwise I would just have a house full of stuff. If I go a couple days without getting in the Shop I get jittery. It's a release for me, my Happy Place. Woodworking is about the only hobby I have these days, don't really spend any time or money on anything else. Tony

• Like Like x 5
  8. John Brock

John Brock Member Full Member

First name:
    John
    It starts with listening.
    I mostly do furniture so it begins in the space. When you live in a space for a period of time, it will tell you what it wants. The need sort of grows in your mind. At first the shape isn't clear but the function and general scale are understood. As you think about it and different ideas roll around. Some good, some bad, some ridiculous, and a few good ones. This can takes weeks or even years sometimes as it takes on form and specifics.
    It might be a place to drop your keys and the mail when you come in the door. It might be that a corner by the window that wants a table for a plant. Maybe it's an entryway that needs a coat tree. When you entertain family an guests, the dining room will ask for a different table configuration and maybe a few more chairs so everyone is at the table together. It might be a cutting board with a moat around the edge so the juices from carving don't run across the counter. It might even be as simple as a pan wants a differently shaped wooden tool for scrambling eggs.

• Great Post Great Post x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    I am a builder- have been since I was a kid. I build- simple as that...

• Like Like x 4
  10. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    The drive?
    It’s my way to relax....(beats hell outa tv and housework)
    Getting into that sweet spot where I have the sound and feel of the chisel peeling off “what doesn’t belong”, OR seeing that plume of dust coming from sanding, OR getting that first coat of finish on and having no tool marks showing up.
    The determination?
    Making something from a mere piece of wood that the good Lord made available —to give me relaxation and happiness to others that enjoy my efforts (Thinking I need a lot of “relaxing” since I’ve been blessed with a near limitless supply),

• Like Like x 4
  11. Tclem

Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    To get away from the wife

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Sincere Sincere x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    Everything but the paycheck. That would be nice but I am the crappiest salesman on earth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    I am a tinker and cobbler , not too defined and not too refined, just like to mess around and sometimes a useful item is the end result. I like the shop , my happy place , my safe space , keep me sane place

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Current Time: 10:10 PM