Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Question Of The Week... ( 2018 week 13)

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, Mar 25, 2018.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    In your outdoors wood horde, (if you have one), how long do you keep the stock? Is it covered? And what is your rationale of doing so?

**Rules**
    There is no minimum post requirement,
    Leprechauns, missplaced texans, are welcome to post an answer.
    But who cares, no ones reads the rules anyhow....

2. Brink

Brink There's nothing to see here Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Brink
    I’m down to just a small stack of red oak.
    It sits 6” above the ground, stickered, and has loose fitting tarp on it with the ends being mostly open.
    Been there 4 years now.
    Still good lumber.
    17AD13DB-789B-4EA7-9132-AAF2A61D6F25.jpeg

CDE6C867-D711-4DBC-85D5-51C769D5BBC9.jpeg

5A9EE20C-68BF-4362-81DE-4AB2F2E7F995.jpeg

• Like Like x 5
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 3
  3. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I've just got a few Mesquite pieces outside, they sit up on cinder blocks and pipe. Only covering they have is what God provided in the bark, been there for about a year now, no problems. Most of my stash is indoors, here and at my uncle's house. Tony

Edit: I did put Anchorseal on the ends.
    20180325_092005.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2018
  4. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Ahhh... right up my alley.
    For me it goes by species, and ALL are off the ground!! I just buy “crooks” the crooked landscape timbers for a $1 from local lumber yard.
    How long I keep? — long as I need to.
    Mesquite: seal the ends/crosscuts, off the ground, no cover
    Pecan: seal ends/crosscuts, DO cover, can rot fairly quickly, Bugs/ grubs like it.
    Hackberry: seal! And cover. Not one that I try to keep for long periods. Bugs LOVE it, and it spalts, rots quickly.
    Huisache: seal, cover. Does not keep well like Mesquite.
    Sycamore: Seal, well off ground, doesn’t age well, may cover, Termites love these, so keep a watch. Spalts easily too.
    Elm: Ends, crosscuts sealed, termites love it too, so monitor, tarp
    Osage: tough stuff, just seal ends, keep off ground, not necessary to cover.
    Oaks: not my one of faves, checks— so I seal. Depends on what I want it to do if I cover or not, weathered vs not.
    Black Walnut: seal! Keep well off ground, tarp! Doesn’t weather well, Bugs love it, so I’ll slab and take inside.
    Some pics to show stacks— they ae all sitting on landscape timbers, one partially on a pallet.

3E3D2FB1-CE0C-41A2-BBF0-CDC8FFD5BB9A.jpeg

5DF4729B-3D3D-494D-B4C4-A60C2B029930.jpeg

BA1E7FA7-C585-4559-B2CB-14DF5320CCEC.jpeg

5100CD52-AF63-4986-82FE-8ABC768C212F.jpeg

EEA83F08-E6B8-49F8-B371-B8B05D6B6471.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  5. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Other than an 800 pound white oak burl I have everything indoors (Of course my wife hasn't parked in the garage for 10 years.....)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    I have a large barn for storing my wood. We don't have cows in that barn anymore. I store green wood outside with tarp and stickered for 3 or 4 months then I stand it against the wall in the hay barn. Dry wood is stored in the shop on shelves.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Just 10 years? We've lived here 24 years, the only vehicle to ever be in the garage is my child's unicycle.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    All of my stash is indoors now. when I had my property up north I would cut and mill wood and then air dry it up there. I would stack it on 4 x 4"s or pallets to get it off the ground and then covered it with a tarp a frame to keep the rain off of it. I would air dry for 6+ months before bringing it home and stickering and stacking in the garage to final dry for another 6+ months. I have stuff that has been in my garage for 6 years or more, thick walnut and maple slabs.

• Like Like x 4
  9. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    I don’t keep anything outside for very long. I tend to process/rough out anything I get in log form. I do seal the the endgrain on everything with anchorseal as soon as I get it.

My shop has an attic where I can stack rough boards and blanks. I should probably climb up there and see what I’ve forgotten about.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Tclem

Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I don’t own a hore

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    I have some small log shorts that have been outside, some for 2 to 3 years, that are raised off the ground on a pallet. Have a few others that are sitting on the back concrete patio. Still need to get around to processing them all sometime, now that I have a chainsaw. But right now they're all either frozen solid to the patio in ice or covered in a big pile of snow. Everything else is indoors, in some manner. I have most of my lumber in the shed. Some lumber in the garage. A very small amount of lumber and nearly all of my various turning blanks in the basement.

• Like Like x 2
  12. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    On the "outside" part of my hoarding disorder I have a few logs (12-30?) that I slowing get processed up or given and traded away. Below the house in the carport, and now spilling out into the driveway, I have small logs, burls and root balls on pallets. I have bunches of box elder and a little juniper out in the barn that needs to be processed and a dark room in the barn for box elder that is processed and sealed, all of that has been there for probably 3 years now wanting to be turned into something.
    Before anyone asks, I'm waiting for a day that I have the time and energy at the same time to do something with about 90% of it. It has definitely got out of control!

• Like Like x 4
  13. Nature Man

Nature Man Member Full Member

First name:
    Chuck
    Everything is in my garage, except for about 6 small Birch logs that I picked up a couple months ago. A friend of mine that owns a portable sawmill has already agreed to slab the Birch logs when the weather improves. Still can park 1 car in the garage, but the hoard is growing. Chuck

• Like Like x 3
  14. Spinartist

Spinartist Member Full Member

First name:
    Lee
    I keep all mine inside my studio or in storage.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    i have some wood stored outside- mostly cover with plywood- stickered off ground- some right now is stored in back of truck a a little stored in trailer. a bunch of miles last 2 days- lots of prizes in there- and it is going to stay in there for a while. i am tired......

28584999_2073691689342633_1405245101_o.jpg

28946052_2101429179902217_535462613_o.jpg

29345103_905240976348266_1629857059_n.jpg

29547118_905240943014936_2125043067_n.jpg

28946349_2099609910084144_645827781_o.jpg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 7
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  16. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    @Tclem , maybe you could rent one
    Shamefully my Ouse wood is stacked and stickered only covered with the bark covered slabs ( scrap) from milling .
    The plan is to have it all store inside this coming year, if the stars can be aligned !
    Pine logs outside and the balance stored in my partners machine shed . Those should get Milled this year
    I'll try to do better
    I purposely am not showing pictures so maybe it never happened
    Dave

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    If you have all your wood stored inside, you don't have enough wood. Just remember the one who dies with the most wood wins.:sofa:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  18. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    If I get the most wood I'll definitely be dead as my wife will shoot me....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member

First name:
    Mark
    No, past tense, horde. Or did you forget the 's', horse?

I want to thank all of you that have posted in this thread so far for making me feel better about my issue. We have not had a car or motorcycle in the garage for about 10 years. The porch has been a kiln for the last 4 years. The dining room has been a shipping depot and office for the last 8 years. The wood shed has been a figured wood storage unit for the last 5 years, and the firewood has been moved across the road and tarped. So it for sure heats oneself at least 3 times now. Across the road is down hill as well. Then like so many, I have lumber stacked at various properties in 2 states.

No, I don't think it's a problem, do you?..?...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    I'm sitting here laughing at all the garage stories this morning.
    I recently bought a mobile home on a nice lot in town, mainly because my girlfriend was getting cheated by her previous landlord and some day we may get older.
    I'm about to put up a steel building that she thinks would be great for her car....WRONG! She just doesn't realize that to fit into a 25x42 SHOP I would still have to sell probably half of my tools (and fine collectables) to do so.
    I guess the sick part is that I'm already thinking on building another shop the same size for just woodwork and I haven't even poured cement yet on the first.
    BUT...on a good note I think I'm winning (for now) by promising to build her a mud room-sun room-patio onto the mobile.:scare3::deal::scare3::deal:

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
Current Time: 7:29 AM