Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Question Of The Week... ( 2018 week 17)

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, Apr 22, 2018.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    What was the biggest single item woodworking related, project you worked on by yourself?

**Rules**
    There is no minimum post requirement,
    Leprechauns, primates, woodticks, miss-placed texans, and wood lovers are welcome to post an answer.
    But who cares, no ones reads the rules anyhow....

2. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    For me it was a walnut kitchen table with live edge oak slab legs in the trestle style. I milled all the wood myself too! It was a table of my own design.
    woodworking and shop 006.JPG The wedge is functional and can be removed to knock down the legs for moving.
    woodworking and shop 007.JPG The oak I used for the legs and stretcher had some great coloring. And a worm hole that went all the way through it.
    woodworking and shop 011.JPG I used the pieces of walnut with the sapwood. The breadboard ends are walnut sapwood as well.
    woodworking and shop 012.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 7
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    I guess the my largest project was log cabin we live in. I had the logs and roof contracted and me and wife did all the interior. I did walls, trim, floor, plumbing and electrical. Never do that again.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  4. steve bellinger

steve bellinger Member Full Member

First name:
    Steve
    For me it would be my little rent house. Hand dug the footers mix concrete, set all floor joists,3/4 plywood floor,build walls, cut and install ceiling joists, cut and installed all rafters and ridge, deck, and install metal roof. Well you get the picture. The only thing I had a bit of help with was the ceiling Sheetrock. This house is only 26x32 with valted ceilings and 8 ft walls

• Like Like x 3
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 3
  5. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    I'd say for hobby craft it would be the rocking airplanes that I've made for Toys for Tots.
    With work related stuff, back in the '80s I turned several garages into mother-in-law houses, rentals or whatever you wish to call them. I'd start with any basic garage and figure out how to get water in and the sewer out and then design the "house" around that, all other utilities are the easy part. A couple had lofts, one had a full second story and one even had an underground passage that joined to the main house. Hey, they paid very good and I didn't ask any stupid questions!
    Something else I did, while working at different mills I would get all the scrap from the mills for free and build sheds, garden sheds, gazebos and wishing wells to sit over water faucets out in the yard. That little gig was a goldmine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  6. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    I have built larger things, like sheds and garages, but the question stated, project you worked on by yourself?

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    I can very safely say that all of mine were or I would have bragged real big on the 3 story 8 bedroom family home that my father, my brother and I built. :cool::cowboy::cool::cowboy::pieface:

• Like Like x 3
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  8. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Uhmmm... Yeah, that by yourself thing throws it all for a loop. Built a few houses, built a pole barn or two, done some serious remodeling jobs, turned 5 miles of lumber into beehives, but those were all with others.

Then there's the pictures or it didn't happen thing... And, I just don't have a bunch of pictures of cabinets built nearly 40 years ago, although I did see my old gun cabinet again Friday for the first time in over a decade. Brother-in-law inherited it, when he divorced the sister and moved, he left it to my brother. Needs refinishing, and the top shelf was cut off for whatever reason, but it's still purty! Choicest hand-selected Ponderosa Pine 1" x 12" - full of Birdseye knots.

Dad ran into a deal on a train car load of lumber that had been rained on and had to be stickered; bought 21,000 linear ft. of it, we piled it up until it dried, then we sawed it all up and made beehives out of it. Except for the spalted stuff he sorted out to build a desk, and the birdseye stuff I pulled to make the gun cabinet.

Of late... by myself... wood working... all alone... pictures... Probably the Redneck Condo <~~ Slideshow There

If you click the little circle with the I in it, the pictures are captioned.

NCM_0331.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
  9. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    one of the 3- have to empty and weigh to be sure- I am sure the credenza would be heaviest- full of a zillion CD's

DSC_0097ss.JPG

DSC_0005.JPG

DSC_0018.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 6
  10. Tclem

Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    My wife

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Don Ratcliff

Don Ratcliff Woodless Full Member

First name:
    Don
    Hope you sanded to at least 12,000 grit, might get slivers...
    :sofa:

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Tclem

Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Wet sanded

• Funny Funny x 6
  13. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    My 8x12 shed at home. Did it no help, my wife and kids left for the day, came home and there was a shed framed up.

• Like Like x 3
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  14. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
    Missed this question until now. The largest single piece of furniture I made (over 30 years ago) is this dining table. It's made of solid PA cherry and with all leaves and pedestals installed opens to 15 feet and seats 16. The chairs in this photo were made by a friend who has now passed away. They are also cherry.

IMG_1642.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

• Like Like x 2
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  15. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    The largest piece I've built by myself was an 8' pram (boat) when I was 13/14 years old. I have no pictures of it - wish I did - and it is long gone. That was 20 years ago that I finished it and it's long rotted and been trashed.

Largest piece since then was the bookcase I recently finished up. Have some larger projects coming up in the future.

• Like Like x 3
  16. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    Nice table. We have a 54 wide 10.5 long mahogany table. 15', that is HUGE!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  17. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
    @Mike1950 Thanks. We recently moved it to the breakfast area of the kitchen to make room for another one that was made by Jeff Headley and Steve Hamilton. They run a multi-generational shop in Berryville, Virginia. He's an infinitely better artisan than I am. It only opens to 14" with all the leaves but it's my wife's favorite. See his photos of furniture on https://www.facebook.com/Mack-S-Headley-and-Sons-Furniture-183259708529997/

Jeff made this photo of it prior to delivery. All South American Mahogany and heavy as heck.

mahogany_pedestal.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    Beautiful. Sorta like ours

20180428_082824.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
Current Time: 11:10 AM