Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Question Of The Week... ( 2018 week 21)

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, May 20, 2018.

  1. ripjack13

    ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

    Messages:
    21,129
    Likes Received:
    5,096
    Location:
    Hebron, Connecticut
    First name:
    Marc
    I'm going to change it up every so often on the QotW. This is a scenario question.


    A friend/co-worker of yours is interested in making woodworking his job. What questions do you ask them? Do you try to talk them out of it? Will you mentor them?







    **Rules**
    There is no minimum post requirement,
    Leprechauns, primates, woodticks, blueglass pieces, and wood lovers are welcome to post an answer.
    But who cares, no ones reads the rules anyhow....
     
  2. woodtickgreg

    woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

    Messages:
    13,024
    Likes Received:
    4,479
    Location:
    Eastpointe, Mi. usa
    First name:
    Greg
    I would ask them the old question. How do you make a million dollars in wood working?
    Start with 2 million!:sarcastic:
    Lol.
     
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Agree Agree x 3
  3. steve bellinger

    steve bellinger Member Full Member

    Messages:
    1,183
    Likes Received:
    968
    Location:
    bethel springs TN
    First name:
    Steve
    Tell them to move to China and build cheap junk. :lol2:
     
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. CWS

    CWS Member Full Member

    Messages:
    2,622
    Likes Received:
    990
    Location:
    Logan, Ohio
    First name:
    Curt
    I will help anyone get started in woodworking. Often if they are really serious they don't need much help before they are bit by the bug. Today with the new tech tools available in woodworking you almost need to have a engineering degree or find a place where people are willing to pay for custom woodworking. It's hard to compete when Ikea can build a chair in a couple minutes with 2 robots. If you enjoy woodworking as a hobby and you can sell some of your work great. I have 2 friends who think they are making a living in woodworking, but their wife's are school teachers. I would not try to talk anyone out of anything. They have find out on there own.
     
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. Lou Currier

    Lou Currier Member Full Member

    Messages:
    3,911
    Likes Received:
    1,653
    Location:
    Central Florida
    First name:
    Lou
    I would ask them if they were crazy! :crazy: If I were to make this a job it would take all the fun and enjoyment out of it.
     
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Mike1950

    Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

    Messages:
    20,911
    Likes Received:
    6,004
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    First name:
    Mike
    follow your passion- money will come and you will be happy doing what you are doing.
     
    • Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. DKMD

    DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

    Messages:
    9,539
    Likes Received:
    2,637
    Location:
    Enid, Oklahoma
    First name:
    David
    I wouldn’t know how to mentor someone wanting to make a living with woodworking. Selling work to recoup some expense and making a living are two different worlds.

    Although I agree with Mike’s sentiment, I don’t know that it always pans out.
     
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Sprung

    Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

    Messages:
    7,319
    Likes Received:
    3,322
    Location:
    Sanborn, MN
    First name:
    Matt
    I wouldn't necessarily be that great of a mentor, I don't think. But one piece of advice I would probably give is to try and find a niche or corner of the market that isn't being covered, or isn't being covered well enough by those who are in it. This can really create a way to stand out against others who are also working within the same realm. It can also be good to be known as the guy who does one thing, but does one thing very well and is the one everyone goes to for that one thing, rather than the guy who can do a lot of things, but may not stand out as the one guy to go to for anything specific.
     
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  9. David Hill

    David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

    Messages:
    1,718
    Likes Received:
    1,630
    Location:
    Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    I’ll side with Mike and David. If someone has a dream of doing Woodworking as a profession, I won’t rain on the parade. l’ll assume they’ve done their homework and have a particular niche picked out. Don’t want them to be in the “could’a should’a mode” because of me.
    As for me mentoring a wannabe pro..... Nope! For me this is a way to chillax. Have found that it becomes not fun when there is a deadline. However that being said,I do help folks wanting to learn some about turning. I do happen to make things that people want, so the tool/vacation fund gets healthier.
    I also have patients who do Woodworking as their avocation— it’s an up/down job— sometimes a ways inbetween paychecks—None getting rich $wise, but are rich with friends. In the end — I’d say do what makes you happy.
     
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • +Karma +Karma x 1
    Last edited: May 20, 2018
  10. Mike1950

    Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

    Messages:
    20,911
    Likes Received:
    6,004
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    First name:
    Mike
    Over 90% of biz do not last 5 yrs. If you looked at the odds, you would not do it. Then again most figure they are the 10 %.
    I know people with lots of money that are miserable in a job they hate. I also know people that are poor, following their passion and are happy. You only get one ride, make it a good one and be happy is my advice. Worth what ya paid for it....
     
    • Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 2
    • Sincere Sincere x 2
  11. rocky1

    rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

    Messages:
    6,767
    Likes Received:
    2,662
    Location:
    Way North Florida
    First name:
    Rocky
    I'd tell them to go talk to @Tony and figure out how to get a Moderator's job; it pays better! :good2:
     
    • Funny Funny x 6
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Don Ratcliff

    Don Ratcliff Woodless Full Member

    Messages:
    4,714
    Likes Received:
    1,968
    Location:
    Waikoloa HI
    First name:
    Don
    images (1).jpeg
     
    • Funny Funny x 5
  13. David Hill

    David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

    Messages:
    1,718
    Likes Received:
    1,630
    Location:
    Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    • Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  14. lonewolf

    lonewolf Member Full Member

    Messages:
    589
    Likes Received:
    312
    Location:
    thaxton va.
    First name:
    Martin
    I would not encourage them. But if they really had their mind set. I would gladly give lessons on how to live ver,very frugally. There will be times you can't afford beans to go with your rice. It's a satisfying career but many sacrifices are required. I did it but not sure I would do it again.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Mike1950

    Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

    Messages:
    20,911
    Likes Received:
    6,004
    Location:
    Eastern Washington
    First name:
    Mike
    I would encourage them. I know i had plenty of naysayers. Many said you will be bankrupt in a year.... thanks for the advice. Positive was few and far between. Contracting is a blood thirsty biz. 2 of of my competitors were amongst the bankrupt in a year group. I was lucky , spent my whole life going to beat of my own drum. My advice is do not listen to the negative vibes. Shut out the noise and listen to your own inner self, if it says yes, go for it. Oh the 2 competitors , they were right :cool: it is a tough biz, in my 3rd year they went under and i bought all their equipment. Needed it, I had become my suppliers 3rd best customer. And they were based in seattle..... lasted 25 yrs and quit on my own terms. Verdict is probably still out on me though......
     
    • Like Like x 2
    • Great Post Great Post x 2
  16. Robert Baccus

    Robert Baccus old forester Full Member

    Messages:
    141
    Likes Received:
    36
    Location:
    lufkin, texas
    First name:
    Robert
    Going into woodworking is like going into Forestry--self-induced poverty but I loved it.
     
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Tclem

    Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

    Messages:
    8,067
    Likes Received:
    3,819
    Location:
    Ms
    First name:
    Tony
    Why
    Yes
    No
     
    • Funny Funny x 2
Current Time: 12:32 PM