Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Question Of The Week... ( 2018 week 41) Poll

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, Oct 7, 2018.

?

Do you recycle in your shop?

1. Yes

68.8%
  2. No

6.3%
  3. What? Are you kidding? I’m a recycling Nazi!

6.3%
  4. I toss my aluminum cans in the bin, and some of my plastic, but not much else.

6.3%
  5. I don’t recycle anything else. I think it’s a waste of time..I’m anti-recycling.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other/not offered:

12.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    Do you recycle in your shop?

:drinks:

**Rules**
    There is no minimum post requirement,
    primates, woodticks and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
    And of course the teXas Hardwood Enthusiast and Big D too....

2. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    I would like to ...but it’s not offered where I live ... can’t recycle if no place to go with it.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    My recycle barrel is always more full than the garbage barrel each week :cool:

• Like Like x 3
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    Hmm...that's interesting. I would think with all this save the planet stuff, there would be recycling centers everywhere...

• Like Like x 1
  5. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    Recycling is easy in my area. We have large wheeled cans for the garbage and recycling, we dont have to sort anything either, just toss any recycling item in the can. Even though I dont use it there is even cans for yard waste, I just mulch mine.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Tclem

Tclem Can't buy love. Buy wood instead Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Yep. Paxton recycles everything into toys and houses.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    I recycle nasty-knarly ol wood into something useful. :saw: but yes we have recycle bin and garbage bin. But technology is there to sort at station. Here we are lucky- our far sighted politicians against our wishes and votes switched us over to a trash to electricity plant. with the promise it would be more efficient and we could all feel good about bein green. :good2: Yeppers- promises were we would be charged a range of prices and immediately went to highest price they could charge, feels great we have some of the highest trash rates in the country. The plant-right next to airport in the right weather conditions creates fog and and snow on freeway. It is cool -makes ya feel warm and fuzzy all over when that cloud wanders over the city hall- that is when we are hoping the filters are not working as they often are not. Been a great efficient success story of taking money out of our wallets and putting them in Waste managements.... :scare3: Most of scrap wood I have goes to dump or into my stove...

• Like Like x 1
  8. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    No recycle service in my neighborhood either, we do save aluminum cans though. Some day I will take em to a recycle center, hardly worth the effort though......

• Like Like x 1
  9. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    Yep my jigs usually become some sort of smaller jig down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  10. David Hill

David Hill I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite. Full Member

Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
    First name:
    David
    Yep.
    Wood shavings go to piles— to mulch and fishin worms. Bigger chunks to friends burn rings & good times.
    Have separate recetacles here for “plain” trash and another for recyclabie things.
    Then again— everything I make is recycled— from trees avoiding the burnpile/chippers.

• Like Like x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  11. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I recycle cans and other aluminum, get a lot of it from work, I sell a lot of blade assemblies and other kitchen parts that are all aluminum. They offer recycling bins out here, but it costs more than trash service and that's ridiculous to me so we don't do it. Sawdust goes to mulch piles, cutoffs go to neighbors to burn.

• Like Like x 1
  12. DKMD

DKMD Sawbones Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    David
    Nope... No recycling services here

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1 Member Full Member

First name:
    Rodney
    Recycle bins for plastic, paper(FRB's) and other paper products along with metal cans. Most heavy steel goes to work with me to barter fir things that come in there. I recycle old and odd lumber from work for stuff I do. Wood scraps get burnt. Dust and turning chip into mulch.

• Like Like x 1
  14. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    Nope ... not even sure how far I’d have to drive for one ...: Texas is one of the last to implement recycling.... it’s in big towns but I guess to many miles to travel in rural areas ... I do keep any and all metal scraps for my dad ... he sales it to scrap yard

• Like Like x 1
  15. Spinartist

Spinartist Member Full Member

First name:
    Lee
    Absolutely!!! All wood shavings I trade to a couple that mulches their yard. They give me a bag of nuts from Whole Foods cashews, almonds, macadamia, pecans, walnuts, etc for every bag of wood chips they pick up!! Other wood scraps go to neighbor who burns them.
    Plastic gets recycled. Most metal goes to scrap yard for $$

• Like Like x 2
  16. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    I did that back when I was younger and partied a lot. Saved the cans from all the parties for years. Moved and drug them along, had to rebag a bunch of them, old garage out back wasn't good for much of anything so it got piled full. Finally got tired of them being in the way and called the local recycling guy, had a 24 ft. gooseneck stock trailer almost 3/4 full, floor to ceiling. When he got it all weighed up and cut me a check, I think 4 - 5 years of aggravation dealing with cans netted me a little over $20. Haven't recycled an aluminum can since!

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  17. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member

First name:
    Herb
    We have single stream recycling here.
    We throw it in a separate can from the trash & wheel it to the curb.
    The trash goes out on the same day. They pick both cans up on the same day.
    Well, they are supposed to pick them up on the same day.

Most weeks, it works as it should. Then we get a new driver & he blasts right past our house
    on their way out & I have to call the company for 3 days before they will come get it.
    Last week, I had to call the county & file a complaint because they did not come after 3 calls from me.
    You better believe they came after the county called them & asked why they forgot my house...again.

:wink:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018 at 3:44 AM
  18. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    Sounds like you got ripped off? :headscratch2:

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Was back in the late-80s; prices were in the toilet on aluminum when I got tired of rebagging them and said, "Hey Ole, come and get dese dam cans, eh!" Had been waiting for A WHILE for prices to go back up, and there was no rise projected in futures. Buyer up there dinged you on crushed cans according to Ole, so most of mine weren't, and therefore 3/4 of a trailer full didn't weigh a bunch. (Personally, I think Ole didn't like them "pre-crushed", they were harder to hide the sand and gravel in, that he accused everyone else of putting in them when they were crushed.)

On top of that, Ole had to make a living, so I didn't get but about half the ridiculously low price they paid for aluminum at the time. However, since I didn't have a 24 ft gooseneck trailer to haul them all off, and couldn't have pulled it to the recycling place 60 miles away and back if I did have, for the $20 Ole kept, I was OK with getting ripped off.

• Like Like x 2
Current Time: 8:17 PM