Question Of The Week... ( 2019 week 1)

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I don't do resolutions, BUT....
#1 Finish my shop
#2 Get the shop set up and get everything I need inside it and sell everything I can live without with an auction.
#3 Spend way more time at least bringing home burls and cedar. Whether it gets sold or stored, I HAVE to build up a nest egg.
#4 I want to get started on a logging project I've been talking about.
#5 Get my butt off the computer and in the woodshop.
Happy new years to all.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I don't do resolutions, BUT....
#1 Finish my shop
#2 Get the shop set up and get everything I need inside it and sell everything I can live without with an auction.
#3 Spend way more time at least bringing home burls and cedar. Whether it gets sold or stored, I HAVE to build up a nest egg.
#4 I want to get started on a logging project I've been talking about.
#5 Get my butt off the computer and in the woodshop.
Happy new years to all.

Good to see you Allan.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I already told you guys, clean the shop with help from a few friends. No one has showed up yet, but 364 days to go.

On a plus, the snow is gone, hit the 40's today. Kid and me spent 2 hours cleaning up debris in the "yard" around the house from the siding project we started in October. De-nailed several fascia boards to be reclaimed into candy dispensers. Cleaned up old aluminum fascia skins, picked up about 70 nails, separated steel and aluminum, brought in firewood and then....

Then the big deal. Cleaned off the swing in the side yard on the property line, on the other side of 50 tons of dirt piled up in 2010 when we started the big house renovation. The swing was engulfed with forsythia with years worth of leaves rotting down on the cloth woven seat. She had most of the wandering branches pulled back and up rooted were runners had set a foot. She brushed at the leaves with an old apple branch from the adjacent dying tree my grandfather had planted some 50 years ago. She looked like a spoiled kid lost in the outdoors. I inverted the bench and lightly tapped the fabric and most everything let loose in seconds. Sat with Kim for 20 minutes or so. Talking about how we used to do it (sit on the swing) when she was younger, and how she wants that pile gone, and a side yard with lawn, how it used to be. I realize times like these are numbered and chances are fading as she grows beyond the nest.

It was comforting but heart wrenching at the same time. Frustrated that some simple things I have failed at, so the shop may not be the priority it was just a few weeks ago...

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Yep dont do resolutions either...

But I really need to decide a bunch of things regarding the workshop.

1- are we moving this year? If so I'll build a new one and what I want at new house.

2- decide not to move I either need to add onto what I have or...

3- build another building ( last thing I need on property) just to house wood which would clear a ton of space in what I have now.

4- do nothing about it and complain indent have space...

MNTurner

Reaction score
First name
Andy
I keep telling myself that if I buy this tool, wood, or resin, I can offset the costs by selling finished products or even just hybrid blanks. This year I plan to actually try and do that...

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I plan to not cut anything that bleeds, vacuum the shop more often, work down my pile of "that is so nice I can't burn it" wood, and drink more water rather than diet soda while working in the shop. Oh, and listen to more country music and less rock on my sound system.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I keep telling myself that if I buy this tool, wood, or resin, I can offset the costs by selling finished products or even just hybrid blanks. This year I plan to actually try and do that...

HMMMM! Someone else with that problem.
I have tools 5 years old or better that are still in there package.