Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Question Of The Week... ( 2019 week 12)

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, Mar 17, 2019.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    What tools do you own that you regret buying?
    And why do you regret it?

:drinks:

**Rules**
    There is no minimum post requirement,
    primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
    And of course the :old: and the doc too....

2. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Radial arm saw. Now use a sliding chop saw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    I'm kinda with Curt on this one. Only because my radial arm saw (a vintage dewalt) takes a 9 inch blade, wish it took a 10 inch. But that's my only regret, it's still a very cool cast iron saw. I only use it for cross cutting rough stock because of its large capacity. It's as close to a regret as I have, lol. But I bought it at an auction for a song. So I'm not really disappointed.
    20150628_204025.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    You can regret owning tools?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    Yep....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    I regretted buying a small jointer. I find my no.5 is better for me than that was so I put it on Craigslist for I think $35. Guy got a hold of me that would have to drive from Daytona. Another guy called and I told him I had already made a deal, he kept bothering me and offered $75 for it. I got a hold of the first guy and told him what was going on. He said go for it he wouldn't be upset. So that worked out nice. I sent the first guy pics of my router sled and told him how I do my jointing and that it gives me a better result.

If I don't use it I send it on its way. My drill press will probably fly next, I need more power.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member

First name:
    Herb
    I think you misunderstood the question. It said "Do you regret BUYING a tool?"
    I regret several purchases. Buying cheap tools is it's own regret.
    The regret of buying a cheap tool goes on long after the joy of the purchase of that tool.

You never find out until later the regret, unfortunately.

That's why it took me 9 years to get a bench lathe & pen turning chucks, etc. before I turned my first pen.
    I could have bought a cheap $79 HF lathe & made due with it, but I waited & saved my coins a few at a time until I was able to buy a top of the line
    Grizzly bench lathe. I waited a few years later to buy a decent Nova 2 chuck, but I'm glad I waited now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    My first thought was NONE. I either buy tools at yard sales or auctions with the idea in mind that I can resell them at a profit or I buy new tools that will pay for themselves and that I need.
    After thinking on it, every time I have to buy a cordless anything it bugs me because I know good and well that in 3 friggin' weeks there's going to be a up-to-date one for sale, plus cordless tools lose there value faster than a Walmart condom.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I've got a 19" Grizzly drum sander that I regret buying. I should've just saved more money and got a Supermax. The Grizzly is VERY loud and the tracking on the belt sucks, but the biggest problem with it is it doesn't have infeed/outfeed tables, nor can you buy them. It's a real PITA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  10. William Tanner

William Tanner Member Full Member

First name:
    William
    In about 2011, I bought a Delta 46-460 lathe. The control head has been problematic for years. It has a reverse feature, which often would only work in one direction. Not great for a lathe. About two months ago had a total flame out and now won’t run at all. This model vintage has a terrible track record, which has lead to many online discussions over the years. Lousy customer support. I steer clear of Delta now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    The first one because it led to the second one which led to the third etc....:blush:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    Lawn mower .. because I have to use it
    I hate to mow

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
Current Time: 4:53 AM