Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Question Of The Week... ( 2019 week 12)

Discussion in 'Contests, Swaps, Giveaways, Member Meetups etc.' started by ripjack13, Mar 17, 2019 at 7:35 AM.

1. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    What tools do you own that you regret buying?
    And why do you regret it?

:drinks:

**Rules**
    There is no minimum post requirement,
    primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
    And of course the :old: and the doc too....

2. CWS

CWS Member Full Member

First name:
    Curt
    Radial arm saw. Now use a sliding chop saw.

• Like Like x 1
  3. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Greg
    I'm kinda with Curt on this one. Only because my radial arm saw (a vintage dewalt) takes a 9 inch blade, wish it took a 10 inch. But that's my only regret, it's still a very cool cast iron saw. I only use it for cross cutting rough stock because of its large capacity. It's as close to a regret as I have, lol. But I bought it at an auction for a song. So I'm not really disappointed.
    20150628_204025.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  4. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    You can regret owning tools?

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Marc
    Yep....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    I regretted buying a small jointer. I find my no.5 is better for me than that was so I put it on Craigslist for I think $35. Guy got a hold of me that would have to drive from Daytona. Another guy called and I told him I had already made a deal, he kept bothering me and offered $75 for it. I got a hold of the first guy and told him what was going on. He said go for it he wouldn't be upset. So that worked out nice. I sent the first guy pics of my router sled and told him how I do my jointing and that it gives me a better result.

If I don't use it I send it on its way. My drill press will probably fly next, I need more power.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Herb G.

Herb G. Member Full Member

First name:
    Herb
    I think you misunderstood the question. It said "Do you regret BUYING a tool?"
    I regret several purchases. Buying cheap tools is it's own regret.
    The regret of buying a cheap tool goes on long after the joy of the purchase of that tool.

You never find out until later the regret, unfortunately.

That's why it took me 9 years to get a bench lathe & pen turning chucks, etc. before I turned my first pen.
    I could have bought a cheap $79 HF lathe & made due with it, but I waited & saved my coins a few at a time until I was able to buy a top of the line
    Grizzly bench lathe. I waited a few years later to buy a decent Nova 2 chuck, but I'm glad I waited now.

• Like Like x 2
  8. justallan

justallan Member Full Member

First name:
    allan
    My first thought was NONE. I either buy tools at yard sales or auctions with the idea in mind that I can resell them at a profit or I buy new tools that will pay for themselves and that I need.
    After thinking on it, every time I have to buy a cordless anything it bugs me because I know good and well that in 3 friggin' weeks there's going to be a up-to-date one for sale, plus cordless tools lose there value faster than a Walmart condom.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    I've got a 19" Grizzly drum sander that I regret buying. I should've just saved more money and got a Supermax. The Grizzly is VERY loud and the tracking on the belt sucks, but the biggest problem with it is it doesn't have infeed/outfeed tables, nor can you buy them. It's a real PITA.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  10. William Tanner

William Tanner Member Full Member

First name:
    William
    In about 2011, I bought a Delta 46-460 lathe. The control head has been problematic for years. It has a reverse feature, which often would only work in one direction. Not great for a lathe. About two months ago had a total flame out and now won’t run at all. This model vintage has a terrible track record, which has lead to many online discussions over the years. Lousy customer support. I steer clear of Delta now.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    The first one because it led to the second one which led to the third etc....:blush:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. woodman6415

woodman6415 Member Full Member

First name:
    wendell
    Lawn mower .. because I have to use it
    I hate to mow

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 2
Current Time: 5:53 PM