ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
What would be your dream job in the woodworking field?

:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
And of course the :old: and even members without an avatar too....

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I think I would love to be the guy that travels the world looking for wood sources, getting them milled, and then getting them out to the woodworkers that would appreciate good looking wood............. Jerry (in Tucson)

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Mine would be to operate a sawmilling operation. Kilns and all. But exclusively hardwoods.

Mrs ripjack13

Reaction score
First name
Michele
What would be your dream job in the woodworking field?

:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
And of course the :old: and even members without an avatar too....
Open a shop and fill it with different products only made by hand with wood!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I would like the freedom to make whatever I wanted, not having to worry about what will sell or what other people want. Tony

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I guess I already kinda have my dream woodworking gig, I'm retired from working for the "Man". At this point in my life and after many years of accumulating equipment, I'm pretty well outfitted, sell a few things I make, enough to support my habit, otherwise, I make whatever whim grabs me, whenever I feel like it, which is pretty much every day, and my wife is supportive:good2:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
While I'm always wishing for more time in the shop, I wouldn't want to make woodworking my job. I like it too much as a hobby and I would probably enjoy it less if it's my job.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I've always loved seeing a fresh cut log and discovering what is inside, so my dream job would be a saw mill OWNER. Note I said OWNER, not operator.

Like others above, working full time for pay in WW would probably kill the joy I get from it as a hobby. Owning a mill however, would allow much of the joy ( and source of the best wood) without the day to day monotony.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Would have to be something to do with milling. Sawing wood has always been a kick for me, but to do it on a big scale would be pretty exciting. Production is another one of my likes. But, operation would have to have a focus on exotic woods. Chuck

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I don't want any kind of job. I want to do what I want when I want to do it. Start every day without a plan.:old::good2:

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
I'd like to be one of those design consultants that come to your house, measure it, and plot it in a computer.
Except I'd measure your shop, and put it in the computer with the tools you own or plan to own in the future.
Sort of like on This Old House where they show the computer generated pics of what the house will look like after
they do the building. Only difference would be the tools & layout in the shop, instead of floor coverings, wall details, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I'd like to be one of those design consultants that come to your house, measure it, and plot it in a computer.
Except I'd measure your shop, and put it in the computer with the tools you own or plan to own in the future.
Sort of like on This Old House where they show the computer generated pics of what the house will look like after
they do the building. Only difference would be the tools & layout in the shop, instead of floor coverings, wall details, etc.

I hope that makes sense.

I understand it perfectly and think it's a very do-able business idea.
There are folks out there that have the money and would pay for someone else to plan it and then pay some else to build it, all they want is to play in it.
Even if you only did it as a sideline business it could work.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I'm slowly trying to go into that phase. I have a little bandmill, I have most of what I want to go into a woodshop and I have my shop that I'm building.
I could ALMOST make it with just sawing lumber right now, but this ranch treats me far to well to think about quitting.
I am considering offering them a deal where I step away from the ranch except branding, preg testing, farming and turning wrenches for them. These are the areas where they need the extra manpower and it would free up lots of time that I could work for myself.
Hopefully it would still give me the insurance and privileges that I now have.:rofl: