ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
What is one project you made specifically for yourself? and why?

:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
really now, post up an avatar!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
You wouldn't think that question would be a head scratcher, but the only thing that comes to mind is a crosscut sled or some other jig. And I made the sled for a specific project for someone else.

Last edited:

Karl_99

Reaction score
First name
Karl
I built an oak bookcase with help from my Dad. This was a Christmas present for my wife, but it was my first real furniture projects. It was a lot of fun to build and there was a great sense of accomplishment when it was finished.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Only thing that comes to mind is some turning tools that I made for myself. I can't actually think of anything I have made of wood that I have not given away.
This was the very first turning tool I ever made, it is what got me started making most of the tools I made.
lathe chisels 031.JPG 1/2" stainless steel shaft, round carbide cutter, and black walnut handle with a copper ferrule.
lathe chisels 030.JPG This is a 1/2" thick stainless steel hollower I made, curly oak handle. Very beefy tool.
DSCF0169.jpg finished hollower 008.JPG

finished hollower 007.JPG
Since these I have made almost all of my turning tools.

Last edited:

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Mine is way simple—-work tables.
Built the first using some “junk” lumber and topped with 3/4 ply. Other tables I modified the big box store’s heavy duty shelf units— just making them half height. With a little cross support and a heavy plywood top, they work great. For me—Looks don’t matter, function does.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
I can't think of anything I've made for myself with wood, but I have a nice set of brass hammers that I made myself quite awhile back. Cold rolled knurled handles with a flat spot milled in with my name and different sized brass heads.
Fun and simple to make.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I can't think of anything I've made for myself with wood, but I have a nice set of brass hammers that I made myself quite awhile back. Cold rolled knurled handles with a flat spot milled in with my name and different sized brass heads.
Fun and simple to make.
What no pics? I would love to see those.:cool:

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
I made a workbench 30" X 96" from 3/4" plywood. It has a shelf on the bottom & the legs are 4" X 4" PT lumber.
I used 2 sheets of plywood, and it was built in place. It weighs a ton.
I made it 2 layers thick for the top & the shelf. It will probably hold a ton or so.
I made it to have a heavy duty workbench in my garage.

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I have made a few pens for myself but most of my pens are gifts. I needed a pen.

justallan

Reaction score
First name
allan
Very nice Allan:cool::good2:

When I used to pop out one or two of these, folks asked why I didn't shape the heads and polish them. Brass just tarnishes and basically because they are brass, they get beat up. You pop them in the lathe and just trim a bit off and screw them back on the handle and beat them up some more.
They are tools not jewelry.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
All I've ever made for myself are tools. Lots of different ones over the years, but this one is my favorite.

IMG_9336_1600x1200.JPG

High angle smoothing plane. Jatoba body with African Blackwood knob and wedge. Tapered single blade, bedded at 62°. Made with handtools only (with one cut from a miter saw).

Last edited: