ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
How often do you go shopping for tools? Weekly, monthly, or do you do it only an as-needed situation?

:drinks:

**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
Does anyone read this?

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I am always looking for tools, it never stops. But I look for deals on vintage tools, and hand tools, and unusual items. But when it comes to big power tools it's on an as needed basis. That's how a lot of my tools where purchased, I had a project where I needed a particular tool so I searched for one or did research for a new tool to get a high quality tool without breaking the bank. I often shop for older tools cheap that I can refurbish and make like new again, that makes the joy of using them that much greater.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Always looking for a deal, although I'm finding that I am getting more discriminating all the time. Couple of major tools I would like, but I've run out of floor space. Chuck

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
I don't buy tools at any set time. I usually have some on my wish list and if they go on a super-duper sale, I'll consider buying them as needed.
If I need something right away, I'll usually go ahead & buy it regardless of price.
But I always shop around to get the best price if that's the case.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Every time I’m more than 5 miles from the house on my way to install something. I have an abundance of caulking guns. Just yesterday I added to my nail set collection. I only have about 10-12 of them, and I was gonna use a Senco brad nailer. A nail set was a lot cheaper than a portable air tank. I was 15 miles from home before I realized I’d forgotten it. .......... Jerry ( in Tucson)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Seldom "go" shopping as no decent place to get WW tools locally. However, get emails from most suppliers weekly, or daily. Don't buy on any type of schedule, buy as needed or when I've got a little extra $ and feel I deserve it!

Tclem

Can't buy love. Buy wood instead
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Every time my wife needs new shoes

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
It just doesn't make since to go into the tool store to buy something you need and also buy something you may need.

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
I’m always up to look at tools. I like going to garage/estate sales- but always seem to be working when folks decide to have them.
As for woodturning tools, mostly as I need. If it’s higher priced thing then I have to involve SWMBO... well unless poker (another habit) has been good to me.

Jason Goodrich

Reaction score
First name
Jason
I check local classifieds everyday. But unless there is something really incredible, and it seems like there never is, I rarely actually buy anything.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I did "investment" buying for a long time....thinking I might need this some day. Now I am waiting for the solid need and trying to control that urge. I admit to having the impulse disease and am trying to be more patient and make sure I get the best valued tool even though it may be more expensive. Table Saw is on the list, but not really warranted for some time yet. Also, don't have the space for it the way I am currently set up.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I buy on an as needed/as funds are available basis. But I'm also checking what's for sale around me most days - mainly just Facebook Marketplace these days as I've had much better results in finding what I may need or want through there than other avenues.

T. Ben

Reaction score
First name
Troy
Mostly on an as needed basis,as I’m just getting into woodworking and turning I NEED a lot of tools!!:cool:

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I am always looking for tools, it never stops. But I look for deals on vintage tools, and hand tools, and unusual items. But when it comes to big power tools it's on an as needed basis. That's how a lot of my tools where purchased, I had a project where I needed a particular tool so I searched for one or did research for a new tool to get a high quality tool without breaking the bank. I often shop for older tools cheap that I can refurbish and make like new again, that makes the joy of using them that much greater.

Hey Tic,

Remind me what vintage is now days.