ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
This week's QotW comes from our fellow WB member, @FranklinWorkshops

What is the one skill you wish you could develop that would take your woodworking projects to the next quality level?

:popcorn:
**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
What did I miss?

eaglea1

Call Maker, Sign Engraver, Resin Caster
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Patience (the capacity to accept or tolerate delay, trouble, or suffering without getting angry or upset.)
and the ability to stop dropping everything I touch, LOL

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
To draw, I cant draw, never have been able to. I can draft drawings with scales and rules and such. Bit I wish I could free hand draw, it's just not something that is in me. I can make fix or build anything. I just cant draw or have the ability to carve something. I envy people that have that talent.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
I have never mastered the hand plane, or mastered how to set it up properly to use, I've tried a few times and gave up, I don't do a lot of traditional woodworking so it has never been a top priority, but it still vexes me...

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Joinery. Pulled out my joinery book today and studied all the ways to put boards together. Complex to say the least! I would like to get a grip on the types of joinery that I might practically use in the days ahead. Chuck

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
One skill - you give me too much credit, I can think of a half dozen.

I'm like Greg, I can't draw, but can draft with the best. That is probably why I have a hard time visualizing (and using) various embellishments such as color, texture and carvings. Not just for lathe work, I also agonize over edge profiles and other details on flat work. When I see it, I know wether it works or not, but have to have it in front of me.

ScoutDog

Reaction score
First name
JB
Sharpening.
I've known of folks who can sharpen any kind of blade, scissors, knife, gouge, chisel, wheel, and gizmo anybody's ever heard of. Even with the best equipment, there's a learning curve with potentially expensive risk if approached incorrectly. Still, I want to be that guy.
Say, if you aren't using that Tormek in the back, forgotten corner of your shop...

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I can certainly think of more than one!

But, if I had to choose just one - joinery. I've got a lot of furniture items on my list of upcoming builds over the next several years.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
making the 30 hour day so I could get more done. Plenty to learn but there will never be enough time

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
I could easily say, what everyone else above me said, but I will say more knowledge of finishes. I think most of my projects have a decent finish, but I always wonder, is there something I could have done different, that would make them even better. For flat work, it is always dust issues because I don't have a good place to add finishes without introducing dust to the process.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Patience.....especially in finishing. I hurry too much and to take my work to the next level, I need to have more patience and learn more about finishes (as others have said). Great list; I put a lot of checkmarks on the above.

Ralph Muhs

Reaction score
First name
Ralph
This week's QotW comes from our fellow WB member, @FranklinWorkshops

What is the one skill you wish you could develop that would take your woodworking projects to the next quality level?

:popcorn:
**Rules**
There is no minimum post requirement,
primates, woodticks, wood spinners, and leprechauns are welcome to post an answer.
What did I miss?
Ordered a new 18 horse motor for my sawmill three weeks ago. Still not here! Tracker said it was near Topeka two weeks ago. Then it was in California a few days later! Wrong direction! I bought a cheap Duro Max motor! No doubt made in China. Maybe still in China??? Maybe it went west from Topeka to California and then continued westward to China! Fed Ex can’t seem to find it! Would have liked to have had something made in US, but not for double the cost! I think this motor will last as long as I need it maybe used occasionally for ten more years, IF I GET IT!

but I did get a Christmas gift

D8F5BAA3-D748-40AA-A9E4-9FB9AB38A6BA.jpeg

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Ordered a new 18 horse motor for my sawmill three weeks ago. Still not here! Tracker said it was near Topeka two weeks ago. Then it was in California a few days later! Wrong direction! I bought a cheap Duro Max motor! No doubt made in China. Maybe still in China??? Maybe it went west from Topeka to California and then continued westward to China! Fed Ex can’t seem to find it! Would have liked to have had something made in US, but not for double the cost! I think this motor will last as long as I need it maybe used occasionally for ten more years, IF I GET IT!

but I did get a Christmas gift

View attachment 198772

Wonder if it is following the wood biscuits that were to be delivered 3 weeks ago?